Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 12-27-2011, 04:25 PM

Default quick trip pointers

May be getting to come out in January for a few days. Just wanting to know if any of the streams/rivers in the park fish any better than others this time of year. Not wanting any specifics on honey holes, but any info would be appreciated. A plus is that I will be getting my new flyfishing rig from LRO befoe I hit the streams. Hope everyone had a great Christmas and here's to a great New Year! Great fishing for all! flyguys
Old 12-27-2011, 05:51 PM

Flyguys, January can be a tough month to get out anywhere in the Park. Cold weather generally means the trout will be hunkered down near the bottom and moving as little as possible. Whatever stream you choose, focus on the slower sections unless we get unseasonably warm weather and attendant warmer water temperatures. Most Smokies regulars focus on the larger low elevation streams where the warmest water temperatures can be found. On the Tennessee side that means Little River, Tremont, and Abrams Creek. Good luck if you go! Just don't expect too much, take what the river gives, and enjoy your time out in such a beautiful place.
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 12-27-2011, 11:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite

no matter how cold I awlays avoid the real deep slow water. It is hard to fish, and thee fish in those spots are not feeding. I still fish the riffles, especially the ones at the head of the deep slow pools. Any active feeding fish will be there, and Id rather fish for 5 active fish, than 20 dormant ones. Just my thoughts. Greenbriar always fishes good in the winter as well.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:01 PM

Thanks for the heads up guys! Maybe I'll get lucky and hit somre of those warm days and warm water temps. Again, thanks for the info! Flyguys.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:15 PM

I think David nailed it. In my limited experience I've found the deep holes and undercut banks hold eager fish this time of year as long as it hasn't been extremely cold. Low elevation and bigger water is the way I would go and I would look for deeper runs. Not certain as far as slow water vs fast water because I haven't fished enough in winter to study this. I would hit the deep holes with a nymphs drifting and probably soft hackles on an across and down stream mend, stripping them back in by the deep runs, boulders, undercut banks. Be certain to put on enough leader and tippet to get down to them without your float line getting down and tipping them off.