Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 01-05-2012, 02:30 PM

Yes we did David. I was trying to brake in a new SA sink tip express, that I had got for Christmas. Looks like that's how us tailwater boys are going to have to fish for awhile.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:34 PM

Rod, out of curiosity how did you like the sink tip line? I always use full sinking lines for throwing streamers but know at least some people like the sink tips better. Did you feel like it was getting your fly down sufficiently?
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 01-05-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Knapp View Post
Rod, out of curiosity how did you like the sink tip line? I always use full sinking lines for throwing streamers but know at least some people like the sink tips better. Did you feel like it was getting your fly down sufficiently?

David,

I was curious about the sinking line as to how deep it would get the flies on heavy generation. I have to say I was quite surprised how deep our flies were getting. In most areas of the river we were able to get them down to the bottom.

Also - its also been said to me that sinking lines don't cast well. We didn't have any trouble what so ever laying out tons of line with that Scott 6wt.

My Blog: Fly Fish East Tennessee
www.flyfisheasttennessee.blogspot.com

><>
Old 01-05-2012, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson10 View Post
David,

I was curious about the sinking line as to how deep it would get the flies on heavy generation. I have to say I was quite surprised how deep our flies were getting. In most areas of the river we were able to get them down to the bottom.

Also - its also been said to me that sinking lines don't cast well. We didn't have any trouble what so ever laying out tons of line with that Scott 6wt.
Were you using both full sinking and sinktip lines or just the sinktip? I've never had too much trouble with full sinking (people I fish with will probably say otherwise ) but wonder if the sinktip will get down as well...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Old 01-05-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Were you using both full sinking and sinktip lines or just the sinktip? I've never had too much trouble with full sinking (people I fish with will probably say otherwise ) but wonder if the sinktip will get down as well...
We used just the sink tip, being newbies at the whole high water streamer game I can't speak for full sinking lines cause I haven't fished them. I can say I did about loose the new sink tip I had got for Christmas by hanging the bottom. The streamers I tied and used for this trip were only weighted with a brass bead. I didn't use tungsten beads on any of these flys. However I will say that since I grew up on the river and know the river bottom well fishing the real deep pools was a little tougher, I say that simply because I know weren't on the bottom in these areas. Again we are newbies in fishing this way so any advice you want to pass along feel free.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodonthefly View Post
We used just the sink tip, being newbies at the whole high water streamer game I can't speak for full sinking lines cause I haven't fished them. I can say I did about loose the new sink tip I had got for Christmas by hanging the bottom. The streamers I tied and used for this trip were only weighted with a brass bead. I didn't use tungsten beads on any of these flys. However I will say that since I grew up on the river and know the river bottom well fishing the real deep pools was a little tougher, I say that simply because I know weren't on the bottom in these areas. Again we are newbies in fishing this way so any advice you want to pass along feel free.
Rod, it sounds like you guys are giving it a good shot already. I mostly subscribe to Kelly Galloup's ideas and stay with unweighted flies. They move much better in the water but of course this means that you are trusting your line completely to get the fly down. I do fish heavily weighted flies some as well, mostly using ones with big dumbell eyes or zonkers... One of the keys is the retrieve. You want the streamer to be retrieved perpendicular to the current so the fish are getting a larger silhouette. Boat speed is crucial to making this work....

Old 01-06-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson10 View Post
David,

Quote:
Adam/David,
On two-generators or more; I have experienced much difficulty getting my streamers to sink/present well due to the force of the current. I have used intermediate sinking line but it did not seem to work well. I think I will try a complete sinking line next and see if it works any better.

I am glad Rod/Adam/David gave their insight on this topic as it has been one that has giving me trouble on high water flows.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 01-06-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
Adam/David,
On two-generators or more; I have experienced much difficulty getting my streamers to sink/present well due to the force of the current. I have used intermediate sinking line but it did not seem to work well. I think I will try a complete sinking line next and see if it works any better.

I am glad Rod/Adam/David gave their insight on this topic as it has been one that has giving me trouble on high water flows.
Shawn, on high water it is crucial to get your boat as close to the calmer water along the banks as is practical. Slower water behind islands, etc., are also good places to look. The fish will still be along seems and pockets out of the current looking for food to come by in the faster flow nearby.