Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 01-04-2012, 03:56 PM

Post BWO-Black Fly Larva (Instructional)

This is one of my favorite early-year patterns and it works great when fishing is slow as well.

BWO - Black Fly Larva (Instructional Video):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZasEVSgDBsM

to choose, to respond, to change.”

Last edited by MadisonBoats; 01-04-2012 at 05:57 PM.. Reason: Updated Video
Old 01-07-2012, 12:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to Redfish62

Nice video,
All your work is great I have learned a couple of new things from you,
Thanks,
Redfish62
Old 01-07-2012, 04:36 PM

Nice video; I will tie this fly... Thanks

BTW the music made me feel sad. Like from a movie where the dude loses the love of his life or something.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish62 View Post
Nice video,
All your work is great I have learned a couple of new things from you,
Thanks,
Redfish62
Thanks bud! I have discovered so many things from the kind internet postings of others and from people kind enough to share things with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbo View Post
Nice video; I will tie this fly... Thanks

BTW the music made me feel sad. Like from a movie where the dude loses the love of his life or something.
Sorry bud, YouTube will not let me put up any copyrighted material. So; I had to pick from their catalog and I tried to pick something relaxing.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:03 PM

Shawn, as stated on you tube, new to the sport and your posts are an example of why newbees stay in the forum just long enough to get hooked. Eager to see and learn more from everyone so I one day have the opportunity to pay it forward.

Breck
Old 01-08-2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breck View Post
Shawn, as stated on you tube, new to the sport and your posts are an example of why newbees stay in the forum just long enough to get hooked. Eager to see and learn more from everyone so I one day have the opportunity to pay it forward.

Breck
Breck,
I sent you a reply on YouTube of the BOM.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:10 AM

Um Shawn....

Wish I had this fly last sunday on the SOHO as the fish were whacking wicked small emerging stuff just under the film.... and I couldn't seduce them.

Oddly it seemed that they wouldn't take any Zebra midges.... perhaps I suspended too low under the indicator?

I wonder about tying your pattern on a plastic or glass bead and fishing it really short behind a dry or indicator....

****ation these black flies are driving me bonkers.... they did not have a black fly larva hatch in Maine (Thank God) and I now find myself totally STYMIED when I have the misfortune to encounter fish stubbornly dedicated to gourging on them and nothing else that is drifting past unmolested! I hate it when fish ignore a steak over a piece of popcorn shimp; my guess is these black fly larva taste better!

Last Sunday I watched BWO's go past trout that were "reliably" "porposing" on larva just under the film and managed a few by dragging or tugging a CDC BWO w' SLF shuck just under the film as the fly entered the feeding slot.... YIKES
Old 01-14-2012, 11:42 AM

Started running into these things on the Caney and have yet to be able to match the emerging fly. The ones I saw were shaped like minature house flies with two wings. As the fly line trailed in the water they would collect on it and leave small black spots which I assume were their eggs. Looking forward to this post to see if anyone has a pattern that floats in the film to match these bugs. Regards, Silvercreek.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:32 PM

@Shawn - you do an excellent job on your instructional videos, and this pattern is right on!

Phil
Old 01-15-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbo View Post
Um Shawn....

Wish I had this fly last sunday on the SOHO as the fish were whacking wicked small emerging stuff just under the film.... and I couldn't seduce them.

Oddly it seemed that they wouldn't take any Zebra midges.... perhaps I suspended too low under the indicator?

I wonder about tying your pattern on a plastic or glass bead and fishing it really short behind a dry or indicator....

****ation these black flies are driving me bonkers.... they did not have a black fly larva hatch in Maine (Thank God) and I now find myself totally STYMIED when I have the misfortune to encounter fish stubbornly dedicated to gourging on them and nothing else that is drifting past unmolested! I hate it when fish ignore a steak over a piece of popcorn shimp; my guess is these black fly larva taste better!

Last Sunday I watched BWO's go past trout that were "reliably" "porposing" on larva just under the film and managed a few by dragging or tugging a CDC BWO w' SLF shuck just under the film as the fly entered the feeding slot.... YIKES

Richard, this fly only works if you are true Southerner-Just kidding bud. Actually; I like to fish a darker-tungsten bead (smaller) for the S. Holston without any lead on the shank. I am not sure what your conditions were exactly; but, I find that a small caddis fly (imitates) just about everything and floats better than about anything + a dropper 'cleanly' tied [6-12"] will get you some action. When I throw the pattern in this video; I use a simple wool indicator (small) and repeatedly throw to a rise or a feeding lie. If you know fish are there; make them think your fly is hatching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercreek View Post
Started running into these things on the Caney and have yet to be able to match the emerging fly. The ones I saw were shaped like minature house flies with two wings. As the fly line trailed in the water they would collect on it and leave small black spots which I assume were their eggs. Looking forward to this post to see if anyone has a pattern that floats in the film to match these bugs. Regards, Silvercreek.

Try a super small (18-22) caddis fly with black hackle. *Not that they trout think it is a caddis fly; just that it floats very well and mimics a midge perfectly. If they does not hit; add a dropper without much weight so it will stay close to the film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psnapp View Post

@Shawn - you do an excellent job on your instructional videos, and this pattern is right on!
Phil

Thanks Phil for your support! Your input has helped me immensely on the Clinch and I look forward to trying some of your patterns to catch some of the big boys in 2012.

*One note; I should have whip-finished this fly cleaner and the green line not showing. Also, I like using a dark tungsten bead about 1/3 size smaller than this one. I did not have any on hand to tie this fly.