Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 01-08-2012, 12:27 PM

Default smoky mt rock hoping!!

Ain't for this chubby tailwater fisherman. Me and Wilson hit the park yesterday to try our hand at play peek a boo, with some wild fish. Yeah well, we both didn't get skunked but park fishin ain't for me. I will go back this summer to camp with my family as I have every summer. But I just can't get into it. Prehaps Wilson will post a pic or two of yesterdays trip.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:05 PM

There are a number of places where you don't have to rock hop. I found several places on the East Prong of LR for the wife's convenience. Plain ol' gravel bottom and easy access from the road. Oh yes, we caught fish. I find fishing the park easier than the Hiwassee. Hiwassee has these rock ledges that slant at about 30 degrees.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:14 PM

I fish the bigger water above Elkmont and on the Middle Prong on most trips and don't hop much. You just have to go a half mile or so above Elkmont and a 1/4 mile past the first gravel lot at Tremont before you start fishin' to skip most of the rocks.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:14 AM

Sorry you guys didn't enjoy it Rod. When Adam texted me Saturday morning it looked like conditions may be optimal, and I had hoped you would get into some big boys.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodonthefly View Post
Ain't for this chubby tailwater fisherman. Me and Wilson hit the park yesterday to try our hand at play peek a boo, with some wild fish. Yeah well, we both didn't get skunked but park fishin ain't for me. I will go back this summer to camp with my family as I have every summer. But I just can't get into it. Prehaps Wilson will post a pic or two of yesterdays trip.
Rod, I feel you about the rock hopping! That and the dang humidity & wearing waders turns me in to a sweat machine.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 01-09-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knothead View Post
There are a number of places where you don't have to rock hop. I found several places on the East Prong of LR for the wife's convenience. Plain ol' gravel bottom and easy access from the road. Oh yes, we caught fish. I find fishing the park easier than the Hiwassee. Hiwassee has these rock ledges that slant at about 30 degrees.
Have you fished Abrams? Its the only Park stream with a bottom as treacherous as the HI. Of course it has those big ledges also that have terrible angles...between those two streams I have probably fallen more than any other place...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 01-09-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodonthefly View Post
Rod, this time of year can be tough in the Park. Give it a shot again once better hatches start and you will probably enjoy it more. If you ever want to give it another shot and want some company let me know. I hate to think that your Park experience is bad and would be glad to show you some spots and hopefully a good time...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 01-09-2012, 02:14 PM

David K., thanks for the info. I would like to fish Abrams this spring, especially the Horseshoe. Heard a lot of good things about it.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Knapp View Post
Rod, this time of year can be tough in the Park. Give it a shot again once better hatches start and you will probably enjoy it more. If you ever want to give it another shot and want some company let me know. I hate to think that your Park experience is bad and would be glad to show you some spots and hopefully a good time...
I would love to take you up on the offer, in return I can offer you a seat in the drift boat for a trip down the Clinch. My email is clinchriverflyfishing@gmail.com shoot me a email next time you hit the park.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:19 PM

As much as I love rock hopping, I can understand it's not everyone's "cup of tea". The way I see it, that's just one less person I have to worry about fishing the streams I love so much. Just kidding, of course.