Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 09-30-2008, 10:32 AM

Default Camping around the South Holston?

I am planning a trip to the SOHO soon with my 14 year old son and would like to pitch a tent for a few days rather than do the Hotel thing. The problem is that I don't know of any areas to camp. Could someone please help with any ideas oon a good spot. Showers and electricity would be nice but not necesarry.

T. Echols
Old 09-30-2008, 10:26 PM

Your thread got buried on here today. We could really use an "off topic" forum for anything other than fly fishing related questions and post.
I have never stayed here but have heard that it is nice, and close to the river. Hope this helps. http://www.cherokeetrailscampground....utfishing.html
Old 09-30-2008, 10:35 PM

Default Little Oak Campground

I have no idea what their season is, but they are on Holston Mountain. You can access it from HWY 421 or from the Hickory Tree area. If I can get any more info on their season I will post again. I think someone else on this board was thinking about coming up to East TN and hoping to stay there. It's a gravel road but doesn't take too long to get in and out.

Mike
Old 09-30-2008, 11:18 PM

Default camping

The place the local fly shop recommends is Pursuit Farms. I dont have any info as of yet but I do at the office. I will post info later.

Check out my gallery.....
http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h2...FISHIN%20PICS/
Old 10-01-2008, 09:04 AM

Pursuit Farms is a piece of private property owned by a very friendly gentleman named Jud. He does allowing camping at times as long as nothing is planned for his family at that time. No facilities, just a piece of farmland, and it is a donation type location. I usually give him around $15 per night just for the convenience and company he provides. I have also stayed at Cherokee Trails campground, and they do have a bathroom on site.

Travis

Pursuit Farms is part of the spawning grounds that are closed to fishing from Nov 1st till Feb 1st. I am not sure of the dates, but I am positive that this property is covered by that regulation.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler

Last edited by ChemEAngler; 10-01-2008 at 09:28 AM.. Reason: Added some information
Old 10-01-2008, 09:13 AM

Default Pursuit Farms

Travis,

Would you email me some contact info? (cdustinc@comcast.net) I'm planning on an overnight trip to the SoHo at the end of the month. Last year, I slept in the car. (Not recommended.)

Thanks,

Chad
Old 10-01-2008, 09:26 AM

Default Little Oak Campground (update)

I talked with a friend this morning who camps at Little Oak nearly every year. He said that he was not aware of any contact #'s. He had gotten in touch with the host one time before, but that was no easy task. He believes that they shut down most of the campground the middle of October, but they do leave one loop (I believe there are 4 loops) open later into the year. The campground is nice and borders South Holston Lake. He said it was about 7-8 miles of gravel coming in from either direction, HWY 421 or Hickory Tree. They do not take reservations, so all you can do is show up and see if they have a spot.

Mike
Old 10-01-2008, 11:06 AM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

Just for kicks - and since I didn't have anything better to do - I goggled "South Holston River camping" and here's some of what I came up with:

http://www.lakeviewrvpark.com/
http://lynnvalleyraceday.bravehost.com/

B&B Lakeside Campground, Bluff City, TN, 423.383.5555

Bristol-Kingsport KIA, 425 Rocky Branch Rd., Blount ville, TN 37617, 800.562.7640

Holston View Campground, 207 Old Weaver Pike, Bluff City, TN 37618, 423.367.6627

I was actually trying to find out if there was any camping at Watauga Lake - a beautiful piece of God's country!!

Last edited by Gerry Romer; 10-01-2008 at 11:10 AM.. Reason: bad link
Old 10-01-2008, 04:25 PM

Cardens Bluff is on Watauga.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:45 AM

Thumbs up

Thanks guys, this is a great start. I will do a little research and make some calls. I don't know an exact date I will be heading that way as of yet but this will help. As usual, if you need some answers on anything, this is the board to get it.

T. Echols