Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 01-16-2012, 05:32 PM

Default Got into some gooooood weed yesterday!

What were you guys thinking about!

The grass is the best I have seen it in about 10 years above the weir yesterday. Great fishing! 20 to hand, and about 12 of those slotters! Two 17", no brookies. All healthy.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:07 PM

The upper weir pool was looking good all weekend. I know a few fellas that have worked the upper end even through the heavy flows. It seems that many of the smaller brooks have suffered from the heavy flows. Well; that is my quick assumption from my fish-to-hand this past weekend.

Did you notice the scour marks on the bank at the weir? It looked like it had eroded quite a bit of the surface in many places. This will cause problems later in heavy rains. Also; it looks like the river bottom was really ravaged over the winter. I do not expect much from any spawning below Clear Creek.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 01-16-2012, 07:27 PM

I never fish at the weir, so I really didn't notice any marks.....just great vegatation. Too bad we can't transplant some mysis shrimp into the weir pool! HA
Old 01-17-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Fly n View Post
I never fish at the weir, so I really didn't notice any marks.....just great vegatation. Too bad we can't transplant some mysis shrimp into the weir pool! HA
With that vegetation being so thick; I have walked up behind fish nestled in the grass and caught a few with my hands. That was a few years ago and I would not do that now; just had to see if I could do it I guess.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 01-18-2012, 07:17 AM

Howsabout "stocking" sulphurs and caddis flies?

Nance's has caddis and the SoHo sulphurs; my two favorite hatches.

IMO the way to stimulate heavy hatches is to add poop to the river.,,, bugs like poop
Old 01-18-2012, 04:16 PM

Believe the Clinch has enough microinvertabrates that it doesn't need "poop". No weeds, no bugs.

Maybe transplant some more scuds or sowbugs to help replace what we lost years ago upstream. Not that anybody on here would do that.....