Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 01-16-2012, 03:13 PM

Default Best all around rod for distance

Ok, after thinning my rod collection I'm about ready for a big boy rod . Those that know me, know that I fish mostly large waters. So I'm looking for something powerfull enough to cast 70+ feet all day and not feel it the next day. I was thinking along the lines of a 9' 5wt but also would like to hear pros and cons on say a 9'6" as well in the 5 wt line up. So if you all would please feel free to add your comments on these rods I have listed.

Sage One

Sage Z Axis

Hardy Zenith

Feel free to add others.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:41 PM

For all day distance casting it's going to be hard to beat a two-handed rod. I use a 7 wt switch rod that I built on a Batson Rainshadow blank. It has become my goto rod. A 5 or 6 wt would probably be a better all around rod. Redington, Beulah and Sage make some excellent switch rods.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:34 AM

Casting 70 plus feet "all day", you're gonna feel it the next day no matter what rod you use (if you're not used to doing that all day, alot). Out of the rods you listed, the only one I have casted is the Z-Axis, and would be a good choice I would think. Or, I'd look for a used but in good condition Sage XP 9ft 6wt. Powerful rod. And on a tighter budget, look at a TFO TiCr-X. I'll tell ya, those X rods got some horsepower. A little heavier swing weight, but man, they can flat throw some line with ease. Impressive when it comes to raw power and zinging line thru the guides.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:46 AM

Last edited by Randy Ratliff; 01-27-2012 at 08:34 AM..
Old 01-17-2012, 09:12 AM

Rod,
I guess my input would be similar to the other responders. What are you going to be throwing and how are you going to fish it?

I believe about any rod will throw out to 70' with its correct line weight and with most flies.

I am not that experienced with throwing streamers all day; but, that seems to give me some arm trouble after a couple hours.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Last edited by MadisonBoats; 01-17-2012 at 09:32 AM..
Old 01-17-2012, 10:35 AM

It's not the rod it's the caster. I have a friend that took my Cortland Enduro 10ft 4 wt and emptied the reel, he was able to do this time after time, without a fly attached.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:54 PM

a 10 ft. lommis glx classic in 4 wt. would be ideal but good luck finding one . lommis nrx or a sage one.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:35 PM

Hmmmm?

IMO the rod doesn't matter so much as technique.... a good snap to a good stop and a subtle haul at the appropriate moment.

The "pro casters" who demonstrate rods at shows for all the afore-mentioned companies CHEAT by underlining the rod so they can carry more line in the back cast. Typically they reduce by two line weights which makes the rod cast poorly (not load much) on short casts with less accuracy but this strategy makes the rod look like a real cannon. Very impressive at shows but then again they don't tell they are cheating when they show off!

I have won many nice Orvis rods up in Maine in distance casting tournaments by underlining and double hauling... backing flies out the rod tip if it doesn't tangle.

Rods are designed for the "weight" of the line over say the first 30 or 40 feet of line (what most people will "carry" on their back cast for a long cast).... rods are not designed to carry 70 feet on the back cast as they would be too stiff and un=manageable for most fishing.

Too much line (weight) on the back cast can make the rod go "soft" or piss out and not have the backbone necessary to blast out the fore cast.

<amy people find the new "super" rods have horrible accuracy up close and it's because they are tip action and roo stiff so OVER LINING can correct the problem.

I seriously believe many rod makers sell 6 weights but represent them as five weights.

If you have several different reels, lines and rods try under-lining and experimenting.... also clean & dress the line.

The weight of the line is what will wear you out as opposed to the weight of the rod/reel.

BTW.... I have an Orvis 12 weight for sale with anti-reverse DXR and it won't wear you out for at least an hour even when you cast umbrella rigs.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:06 AM

corbo, very interesting information. Thanks. I underline a 7 wt. bamboo rod with 6 wt. to stiffen the action. Could probably go down to 5 wt.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:22 AM

Others have made some very good points, and 70 feet is not that far to cast in reality. The problem with 70 feet is effectively fishing with that much distance between you and the fly. Drag becomes a huge issue, and getting good hook sets as well.

From what I know about you Rod is you fish the Clinch primarily, and if you are looking a for a rod to handle "clinch distances" then I would look at a 9' 5wt. Z-Axis or One.

I fish a 9' 4 wt SP or Z-Axis on the Clinch every time I am out, and can cast as far as anyone on the river with it. However, that is just me, needless to say I might have a little different skill set then the majority of others on the river.

That is the reason I usually suggest and always suggest others stick with a 9' 5 wt, and it should do everything you need it to.

I would not look at the 9' + rods, when you add extra graphite they get clunky and heavy in the hand. I have never been a fan, and the longer rods are more useful for mending then they are distance casting IMO.