Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 01-20-2012, 05:54 PM

Default Donley Cabin

Has anyone stayed at the Donley Cabin in the Tellico area? How safe is equipment left in the cabin when a group is gone. Have a trip lined up in the spring.

Thanks
Old 01-21-2012, 10:39 AM

Never stayed there but have been by there several times. Anything left in the cabin could easily be taken by anyone who passes by. No way to lock up anything. The cabin is kind of "destination" for people who are visiting the area and want to do a "hike".

One thing to watch out for is snakes. I was told by a forest service employee that their is a decent population around the cabin due to the high number of mice. I've found all kinds of food items and trash left by lazy people. Last time I was there I found an unopened 10lb pack of pork chops.

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com
Old 01-21-2012, 08:41 PM

Thanks for the heads up about the snakes. I wish you would have said watch out for bears. Me and snakes don't get along well.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouseMan77 View Post
Anything left in the cabin could easily be taken by anyone who passes by. No way to lock up anything.
What GrouseMan said...

I stopped by the cabin for a break after fishing back in November and it is very primitive. Basically just a roof over your head and a porch to kick back with a drink after a long day on the river. There is a fire pit and an outhouse out back. If you are looking for a "rustic" cabin experience this is it...

Something to keep in mind, people will walk back to the cabin just to check it out since it is not that far from the parking lot. I would think that if it appears to be occupied they would probably let it be... maybe just leave valuables in the car or take them with you and I think you should be fine.

Tight Lines,
Old 01-24-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnflyfisher View Post
What GrouseMan said...

I stopped by the cabin for a break after fishing back in November and it is very primitive. Basically just a roof over your head and a porch to kick back with a drink after a long day on the river. There is a fire pit and an outhouse out back. If you are looking for a "rustic" cabin experience this is it...

Something to keep in mind, people will walk back to the cabin just to check it out since it is not that far from the parking lot. I would think that if it appears to be occupied they would probably let it be... maybe just leave valuables in the car or take them with you and I think you should be fine.

Tight Lines,
Yea we knew you could not lock cabin up. Not going to leave any flyrods or important stuff there while fishing. Just hate to pack up sleeping bags, cooking equipment and other stuff each day while out fishing. Hate to be parinoid but thats the times I guess.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukfb1 View Post
Just hate to pack up sleeping bags, cooking equipment and other stuff each day while out fishing. Hate to be parinoid but thats the times I guess.
I think you are on the right track but this probably isn't necessary... no different than all the other campsites up and down the road with stuff left in tents unsecured. I have camped/fished up there twice now and have never had any issues. Besides, who would risk wanting to try and hike out with all your gear only to have you possibly pull in and catch them?? Of course there is a chance but probably slim...

Enjoy the trip and good luck!! Will be back up there fishing the end of March myself. The North is a great little river for some wild fish...

Tight Lines,
Old 03-13-2012, 11:05 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to spotlight

Just leave a note on the door that says, "Hey Jim be right back put your gear inside shouldn't take me long to bury the body I chopped it in small pieces just like you said....yeah I think that outta send em running....
Old 03-14-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotlight View Post
Just leave a note on the door that says, "Hey Jim be right back put your gear inside shouldn't take me long to bury the body I chopped it in small pieces just like you said....yeah I think that outta send em running....
Counter-Intelligence! Crafty!
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 03-14-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Great... will be up there next week and now I'll be thinking about this as I fish that section of the river. If I see that note when I go up there to take a break, I think it will still creep me out even knowing where it came from... can't even imagine the reaction from someone else...

Tight Lines,
Old 03-14-2012, 07:00 PM

You are close. Having a funeral home, I could bring the hearse with death investigation stickers and yellow tape. Problem is, it usually draws more people than deters. If you see a pickup with KY tags at the parking spot in April, stop in and see us.

Quote: