Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 02-02-2012, 04:41 PM

Default White bass fly pattern that works in TN?

Anyone fish for white Bass? Got a favorite fly for them?

Guess they start "running" above Douglas Lake in March and I'm planning to try catching them on flies and thought perhaps that bonefish flies might work as I have plenty.

Got a boat if anyone wants to come along.

Thanks, Richard
Old 02-02-2012, 05:37 PM

I like white shenks streamers, white clousers, and if hitting on top, red/white poppers and shad wiggle minnows. I'm sure some bonefish flies would work. forgot to add one of the best WB flies are the Coffey sparkle minnow in pearl.

Last edited by Troutman; 02-02-2012 at 05:53 PM.. Reason: added fly info.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:37 PM

white/chartreuse clousers? i seem to remember people using those during the white bass runs in Texas
Old 02-02-2012, 09:42 PM

Thanks; is size 4 too large?

I looked up the Coffey minnow and have size 2 & 4 long shank streamer hooks, will make body from Pearl Estaz... same sorta idea but it comes on strings so I don't need to fool with a dubbing loop full of synthetic.

Would white weighted or coneheaded whooley buggers do?
Old 02-03-2012, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbo View Post
Thanks; is size 4 too large?

I looked up the Coffey minnow and have size 2 & 4 long shank streamer hooks, will make body from Pearl Estaz... same sorta idea but it comes on strings so I don't need to fool with a dubbing loop full of synthetic.

Would white weighted or coneheaded whooley buggers do?
Size 4 streamers are what I tie the most for bass. #6 if for trout.
Another very easy tie using estaz that is similiar to the shenks is a wobbler. The secret is the tapered body. It makes the fly dart. White buggers beadhead, conehead, lead eyes all work. The WB are not picky. I used to catch them with just white crappie jigs growing up.

Here is the tying info for wobblers. Ward sent me a couple of these in the mail to try out a few years ago. he is a master deerhair tyer.

http://www.warmwaterflytyer.com/patterns3.asp?page=30
Old 02-03-2012, 10:02 AM

I've caught them below my house on 'doll fly' type streamers. I threw some basic bead head streamers with white marabou tails and white chenille bodies. I had to work at varying the action and letting the flies sink a little longer between strips/action. I think a full-sinking line would have helped me.

I caught about 20 the first-time I tried this and bragged to my brother about how much fun and easy it was. We went back the next day and did not catch one fish.
to choose, to respond, to change.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:02 PM

I fish for hybrid bass and not sure if they are technically the same or not?? Anyway, one that does not seem to be mentioned but I know several guys that use it is the grey ghost. You might want to try one of those as well. I agree with Troutman and find that the clousers in simple threadfin shad colors and white work well. Again, they are usually not that picky. Something else to keep in mind, right as the season kicks in you want to start off small. Then progressively swith to larger and larger flies as the temps go up.

If possible, have a rod rigged with a topwater popper and another with a clouser/shad pattern. That way you can cruise around looking for them and when they blow up on bait toss the poper until the frenzy stops. Then offer the clouser to any stragglers still in the area looking for any left over injured baitfish. Often you will tag a bigger fish who was waiting for an easy meal after letting the little guys do all the work...

Tight Lines,

Last edited by tnflyfisher; 02-03-2012 at 12:28 PM..
Old 02-03-2012, 07:55 PM

The hybrid is a cross between a white bass and striped bass. FWIW, when the blueback herring are coming through the powerhouse on the Hiwassee (should start real soon), I use a white wooly bugger, size 8, with a bit of crystal flash.