Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 02-01-2012, 02:37 PM

Only 3?

When I went in Sept I hiked in from the top (Holly Flats area) and we did a shorter hike, only about 45 min and had stopped at the second one we came to, the first being only about 25 min from the upper road. I thought I read somewhere that there are primitive campsite about ever .5 mile?

Also If you hike in from the top, you will probably have more of a flat hike, the only part with a semi steep gradient would be the first part at the Falls.

You have probably already seen this if you have been scouting for info but if not here's a trail guide:

www.cherokeehikingclub.org/Bald%20River%20Trail.pdf
Old 02-01-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDuncan View Post
Only 3?
I've probably hiked the stretch between the falls and holly flats 6 or 8 times. There might be 4, with one being fairly small and indiscernible. I would say one might be a little disappointed if counting on a campsite every half mile.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannyknot View Post
I've probably hiked the stretch between the falls and holly flats 6 or 8 times. There might be 4, with one being fairly small and indiscernible. I would say one might be a little disappointed if counting on a campsite every half mile.

That's good to know, I didn't go much further down the trail, and was just going off of what I had read. The first too seemed really close together/close to the holly flats end, so I just figured there were more further down
Old 02-01-2012, 11:16 PM

I have to say the more research I do the more I am considering car camping. There is way too much fishable water in such a short distance to limit to just Bald River. I usually fish in the park and I am very curious about Tellico and Citico. I have read posts where members have had concerns camping in some of the sites on the Tellico Road. I am not sure how crowded it would be from "just campers" over Easter. I would imagine most of the campers would be fishermen as well. So many streams, so little time.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:29 AM

Drugcop, I like the holly flats & north river campgrounds, but there are also several roadside campgrounds that are free, which don't have tent pads, tables, or pit toilets. I would say the majority of campers on the Tellico river aren't fishermen, but families with lots of kids. I don't really like camping along the Tellico, not because of any concerns, but just because of the crowds...also, I don't like fishing the Tellico itself very much.

The Citico area is really only worth the trip, in my opinion, if you are going to backpack in to one of the 2 forks. The fishing is just ok, but the area is rugged, beautiful, and worthy of exploration if you are into that sort of thing.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:00 PM

I agree with Grannyknot and would add that the Spivey Cove campground is pretty nice too...its the first one down from the Green Cove community. Be aware that in the pay as you go campgrounds (Holly Flats, North River, Spivey Cove) adult beverages are not allowed....I don't think that's an issue in the roadside campsites.

Holly Flats is nice but if you go there you're pretty much going to be fishing the Bald River and its feeders. We usually set up at Spivey Cove since its centrally located and fish all three streams (Bald, Tellico and North).

You'll generally have better luck on the Bald and North since they don't get pounded as much...stocking on the Tellico starts around March 15 if I'm not mistaken and you'll see alot of people hitting it. I don't think you can fish the Tellico on Thursdays/Fridays during stocking season (March 15 to Sept 15) either.