Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 01-31-2012, 06:55 PM

Default Short Blueline Report

I decided to head north of the border today and fish one of my favorite winter streams. The fishing was pretty slow and no big fish were caught. This particular blueline holds large numbers and large fish.

I double nymphed most of the day, no indicator. Later in the afternoon I switched to a dry/dropper. I caught no fish on the dry, no did I have any strikes on the dry. All fish were caught on hair's ears, 14-16 size, olive, black, and gray colors.

As for the one that got away, I did have a 15-18 inch rainbow break me off early in the day. He made one strong run upstream and snapped my 5X very quickly. I had him in a gin clear slow moving run, so I got a really good look at him.

Here are a few pics. The colors on most of the fish were really nice.

Last fish of the day, a hideous, filthy, and disgusting hatchery raised stocked rainbow. He swam a long way upstream from any stocked waters to where I caught him.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:14 PM

Outstanding job. Way to spend the day.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:20 PM

Great report and thanks for sharing the details and the pics! How do you like that W.J. Chest pack? Is it an Amp?
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 01-31-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
Great report and thanks for sharing the details and the pics! How do you like that W.J. Chest pack? Is it an Amp?
That's a good eye, bro. It's the surge, I've had it for almost 2 years. I love it.

Plenty of room for more than enough gear, comfortable neck strap, 2 nice sized bottle holders, strap on the back of the neck to hang a net or water filter. Straps on the underside that will hold a rolled up raincoat. I have never had the magnetic lids open on me, even when taking the worst of trips/slips and falls. ***EDIT*** I just remembered, I took a bad fall down a ridge in the Fall of 2010. I tumbled head over heals for about 50 feet down a 45 degree slope. One compartment popped open during that near death experience, but I was okay with that. I don't think the pack was designed for that kind of abuse, nor was I designed for that kind of abuse.

It's been submerged a few times as well, along with me. It's never leaked. This would be only for a few seconds, just when I happen to fall in. I am sure it would leak if submerged for more than a few seconds.

Small zippered compartment that I put my keys and wallet in when wet wading.

Also, can be worn as a chest pack, fanny pack, off to the side, etc.

I have been thinking about getting the amp just for backpacking trips. Smaller and lighter for less space and less weight in my backpack.

Did I mention I really like my WJ pack?

Last edited by ifish4wildtrout; 01-31-2012 at 08:39 PM.. Reason: Forgot about my near death experience at Slaterock in 2010
Old 02-01-2012, 09:12 AM

Thumbs up

X2 on the Surge...... Love mine! Did have one of the side pockets open on me this past summer and dumped the camera, too much gut when bending over I guess....

The amp is a nice little chest pack too, mine is set up for the tail waters. Have found that I'm not a big fan of neck straps though.

Again, fantastic markings and colors on the bows!!! Always enjoy your reports ifish.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:32 PM

Nice fish as usual! This makes me really want to get out there... Ohh wait, there's that thing called non-stop generation here in middle TN!!

Maybe we can do a trip this spring? Sorry things never materialized back in the fall. I will hit you up about that...

Tight Lines,