Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 01-02-2012, 04:29 PM

Default Packing Heat in the Park

I just started fly fishing two years ago and I love to read everyone's posts. I read an older post regarding those who legally carry a handgun for protection while fishing and camping in the park and I am curious how many forum members elect to carry while fishing. I realize this may be an odd "first post" but i am just starting to fish the back country waters and I wanted to see what the prevailing thought is. Thanks in advance for your replies and for tolerating me as a new by.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:42 PM

Default well...

I would rather be tried by twelve than carried by six.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:55 PM

I'll say I have been in violation of the Reg. in the past.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:42 PM

I think that if you have a state carry permit you can legally carry in the park but I'm not certain.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite

I carry everywhere...Fishing, church, grocery shopping... There are cazy people out there, and things are only getting worse. As far as I know, you must have a North Carolina or Tenn carry permit. I do not think reciprosity (not sure of that spelling) from other states is tolerated in the national park.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:05 PM

If you have a carry permit from any State you can carry in the Park. You must abide by that particular states laws concerning the carry.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:18 AM

Here is a link to the regs:
http://www.nps.gov/grsm/parkmgmt/lawsandpolicies.htm
Old 01-03-2012, 12:41 PM

I have a NC concealed carry permit and I legally carry my 1911 model .45 ACP everywhere that I fish.

Thankfully the NC Gameland carry laws recently changed. Until a month or so ago, we were limited to carrying a .22
Old 01-03-2012, 12:47 PM

Hooked On Fly Fishing
You've opened a topic of much great debate. I "carry", also, a canister of COUNTER ASSAULT bearspray! My 12 ga. with 00 buckshot and slugs is too bulky to carry fishing (:>). I do support the right to bear arms but after working in the Shoshone Forest in Wyoming I have reservations about using them.

First I'd stick with my shotgun-Any target with probably die laughing at my accuracy and effectiveness, with a handgun. (I'm not Matt Dillon and things happen fast). The past couple summers, in the Greater Yellowstone, I've seen people making risky choices due to a false sense of security, because they are carrying. "Playing Cowboy". Studies show with Grizzly attacks, Bear spray is almost 100% as a deterant, when a firearm was used there was only around 50% effectiveness.

Second, In Montana last fall , one guy shot and killed his partner in the confusion during a bluff charge by a Griz. I like a Non-lethal and extremely effective alternative. As I was told by our NFS L.E.O., Bear Spray is extremely effective on People, dogs, etc. I know of cases where it has been used on Buffalo and Moose.

Although, again, support a person's right to carry. I, personally, just have to question the effectiveness of hand gun vs. spray in almost any scenerio we might encounter fishing in the park.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:48 PM

Default spray

i usually have bear spray---if you actually fired a large calibre handgun or shotgun in the park,not only would it deter a bear,but would also serve as a signal that would draw nearby park rangers,as well as, freak out all those classic city folks,who populate the "Quiet Walkways"in the park.