Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 02-06-2012, 03:26 PM

Default Name?

What is the name of the stream that runs down the west side of the mountain just below 18? Is 18 open? Thanks in advance, Dwayne.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:50 PM

Hey Dwayne the stream that runs through the middle of cs 18 is the West Prong of the Little River. Is that the one you are asking about? cs 18 is open right now.

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 02-06-2012, 04:19 PM

Thanks Adam, yes that's it. I haven't had a chance to really fish it that much after it leaves the road and was thinking about a weekend up that way in the spring. I have a couple of old army buddies from Desert Storm that are coming up to be introduced to the Smokies and to fly fishing, so I'm trying to get some ideas up for some off the road places that aren't too hard to reach. I am thinking of the LP that runs by the road going from sugarlands up the the gap and probably looking for some brookies up at walker camp too. I think the first day I'll stick to the middle prong of the LR so they have plenty of room to cast and the lower portion of the WPLR below 18 where it's relatively wide. Hmm...this should be interesting to teach them to roll cast and hit all of these spots in two days of fishing.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:30 AM

BRF....if your buddies are new to the sport the lower end of the WPLP would be better...you could even start at the bridge by the Park HQ...my favorite spot down low is to go in one pull out above the handicap walkway just above the HQ...the river here is wide enough to cast and it has not started the elevation climb with those huge bolders to navigate....good luck and a great thing you are doing....let us know how it goes.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:18 PM

Blue Raider Fan--Rog1's suggestion is a good one. The stream is pretty open, thanks mainly to occasional scouring from runoffs (not much to hold water up high), and it has the added virtue of being one of the easier streams of the readily accessible sort in which to catch fish. Or at least that's my experience, and I've spent a lot of time in the West Prong of the Little Pigeon over the years.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 02-07-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaiderFan View Post
...I have a couple of old army buddies from Desert Storm that are coming up to be introduced to the Smokies and to fly fishing... .
Dwayne, I like what you're doing. If you will provide me your mailing address, I'll send you a few maps you could forward to your buddies. Caution: Stream maps won't cure a wintertime itch. Just the opposite.

JF
Old 02-08-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog 1 View Post
BRF....if your buddies are new to the sport the lower end of the WPLP would be better...you could even start at the bridge by the Park HQ...my favorite spot down low is to go in one pull out above the handicap walkway just above the HQ...the river here is wide enough to cast and it has not started the elevation climb with those huge bolders to navigate....good luck and a great thing you are doing....let us know how it goes.
Thanks Rog, I'll give that a try. We only have two days (I think) so this will be good if they want to hit Gatlinburg for breakfast.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Casada View Post
Blue Raider Fan--Rog1's suggestion is a good one. The stream is pretty open, thanks mainly to occasional scouring from runoffs (not much to hold water up high), and it has the added virtue of being one of the easier streams of the readily accessible sort in which to catch fish. Or at least that's my experience, and I've spent a lot of time in the West Prong of the Little Pigeon over the years.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Thanks, Mr Casada. It sounds like a good one. We will stop by and fish it for our beginner course on roll casting and mending across stream. I need to get your book finally on sites in the park. I keep forgetting. I think some history would interest them.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFred View Post
Dwayne, I like what you're doing. If you will provide me your mailing address, I'll send you a few maps you could forward to your buddies. Caution: Stream maps won't cure a wintertime itch. Just the opposite.

JF
Joe, I really appreciate it but without pm ability I wouldn't want to post it on the internet. I posted my personal email address once and got all kinds of crazy emails in the following weeks. Kind of you to offer though.

Dwayne
Old 02-10-2012, 06:36 PM

Dwayne, you are welcome to e-mail or snail mail me your Postal Service mailing address to where noted on www.smokystreams.com/contact

JF

Last edited by JoeFred; 02-10-2012 at 08:26 PM..