Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-14-2010, 08:23 AM

Default Where do you eat on the way to fish the park

For selfish reasons I am posting this so hopefully I can find some other good places to eat when I am fishing different parts of the smokies. Not trying to promote any particular restaurants nor do I own stock in any just trying to find out where you all think is the best places to grab some food in Townsend, Cherokee, Bryson City, Gburg, Cosby, etc when fishing or after fishing. The idea came to me cause someone mentioned Pete's pancakes in Cherokee on another thread here lately and someone else mentioned great sandwhiches at a 66 gas station. I know where Pete's is but don't know about the other.

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 09-14-2010, 08:41 AM

When I am visiting up there the first day is generally one of the pancake log cabins for a country ham breakfast....when time is an issue I am partial to McDonald's country ham biscuit...not bad for fast food...and something they don't serve here in Florida
Old 09-14-2010, 09:25 AM

I like Riverstone on the right as you are going into Townsend from the park. It's after the KOA campground, I think.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:38 AM

Townsend

Mrs Lily's is my #1

The BBQ place attached to the tubing place on the left just after the redlight where it goes to two lane highway heading into the park is delicious. I think the tubing place is River Rat.

Riverstone is good too.

On the North Carolina side, if you got time go to Franklin, NC. It's well worth the drive. In the middle of town there is a Hot Spot gas station. Attached to that gas station is a small cafe called Caffe REL. Best restaurant in this area bar none. The guy uses a lot of different sauces and has some really fancy dishes for reasonable prices. You would never imagine it's connected to a gas station. The bread they fly in from Canada with that sauce is delicious too. The homemade chocolate cake is awesome.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:51 AM

Full Service BBQ in Maryville is my favorite place to go on the way back to Knoxville.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:53 AM

Riverstone and Miss Lilly's are my #1 and #2 favorites in Townsend too but lots of times I go for just quick at the Subway or Burgermaster but don't like them as much . Miss Lilly's has a great sunday brunch thing that is really nice.

When I am fishing over in Cataloochee I love the Maggie Valley Restaurant. It is always real crowded on the weekends with locals and lots of good country cooking there. Hamburger steak with gravy, some awesome mac and cheese (they run out quick) and great rolls.

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 09-14-2010, 09:54 AM

I almost exclusively have gone in through townsend I really like Little River BBQ (the one mentioned attached to the tubing place) - (let them talk you into one their cobblers, worth it no matter how full you are, IMO)but will probably be shutting down for the season in the next couple of weeks. They are nice people, and semi-regularly take trips down to Texas (where I'm from) to sample various BBQ joints down there which is how they perfected their brisket. I don't think anywhere I have eaten in TN has brisket that is that good (if they even serve it), since pork is the usual BBQ here. If you really like pork BBQ, its good, but not special or out of the ordinary.

Riverstone has great food- really good breakfast.

I have eaten at AJs, esp in the winter, but it is not my favorite. I don't know if they still allow smoking inside, but the last time I ate there i feel like everything kinda had an ashtray like after taste. Other times I have been there and really enjoyed it. The back porch restaurant is OK, but not my favorite for the price.

I know I have eaten at several other Townsend eateries, but can't think of them right now.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:32 AM

Wink

All this talk about food is making me hungry! I believe I will eat an early lunch.

Bill
Old 09-14-2010, 10:35 AM

RFork have you tried the banana pudding at Full Service BBQ in Maryville it is the best.

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 09-14-2010, 11:07 AM

Crockett--Yours is a sort of "wide open" question in that you don't establish any parameters on your food expectations--stomach stuffers? price the key factor? quantity? type of attire? As someone who has written a bunch of cookbooks my thoughts obviously go beyond filling my pie hole to other factors.

With that out of the way, I can speak with some authority on Bryson City. If you just want a burger or something similar, Na'Ber's, located on old U. S. 19 about a mile and a half on the road to Cherokee, is in a class by itself (and very reasonable to boot--McDonald's and Burger King aren't in the same league). Pasqualino's, located near the square, has wonderful Italian food at reasonable prices and the quantities are enormous. I'm a pretty decent trencherman and I always need a take-out box. The Cork & Barrel on the square is a new place specializing in crepes, and it's first-class. For breakfast or lunch, Everett Street Diner is hard to beat (they aren't open at night). If you are in a hurry and just want a lot of food for your dollar, the offerings at Ingle's in the hot foods/deli section fit the bill. There are other places as well, but of those i've tried (and that's most of them), the ones mentioned above come out on top.
In Cherokee, the restaurant in the Holday Inn (Chestnut Leaf or something like that) is quite good, and for all-you-can-eat home cooking Granny's Kitchen up the Soco Road is a good choice.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
P. S. Out Nantahala way there's Nantahala Inn and Relia's Garden (or is it Kitchen?).