Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 02-13-2012, 09:24 PM

Default Trick Or Treat Wet Fly

Hi everyone this is my own creation that is a variation of a fly that I will be posting in a few days. The name of the fly is called the Trick Or Treat. I went fishing on the South Branch below lake Solitude this past November 2011. Actually it was the first weekend after Halloween that was a really nice day. So I am on stream and get nothing to hit on any of the wet flies that I fished with that day. So I had three of these flies in box box and tyed one on and fished it for about 5 minutes and caught a nice 8 inch Brown. Wound up catching 5 more Browns that day. I sat their and laughed and had a great time fishing and could not believe this fly that was destined as a holiday ornament for Halloween actually was productive and had taken Browns. Now I plan this year to field trial the fly in the fall time say October November and see if it works again.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:04 AM

Andy,
I love your wetflies. I use some similar for targeting the big toms.

One question; how do you dye your wings? Type of dye? I have a hard time getting deep-rich colors.

Thanks for sharing your patterns...
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 02-14-2012, 10:00 AM

Hi:

I bought the wings from various stores over time. All the colors that you want are available, but you really have to look via on line and local fly shops and stores. Some of the biggest shows here in the Northeast always have some nice quality Duck and Goose quills for sale.

Sincerely
Andy Brasko
Old 02-14-2012, 12:33 PM

Andy, We need an email address so that Sarah can contact you.
Hugh
Old 02-14-2012, 06:33 PM

Mount Laurel NJ?!?!?!?

YO!

I grew up in Haddon Heights and then Cherry Hill... mail me a real HOAGIE!

Never knew hardly anyone who fly fished growing up that was my age and the only local place with real trout was Hopkins Pond in Haddonfield that got stocked.

I have a buddy Bill who lives in Medford lakes that goes up to the Upper Delaware virtually every weekend.

Are Jersey Girls still the same? I'd like to hope so....
Old 02-14-2012, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Hartsell View Post
Andy, We need an email address so that Sarah can contact you.
Hugh
Hi Hugh:

My home E-Mail Address is: DoCaFish@comcast.net

Thanks for getting this to Sarah. I asked my wife about this and she got excited. So if they do give me a space I do plan on showing.

Sincerely
Andy Brasko
Old 02-14-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbo View Post
Mount Laurel NJ?!?!?!?

YO!

I grew up in Haddon Heights and then Cherry Hill... mail me a real HOAGIE!

Never knew hardly anyone who fly fished growing up that was my age and the only local place with real trout was Hopkins Pond in Haddonfield that got stocked.

I have a buddy Bill who lives in Medford lakes that goes up to the Upper Delaware virtually every weekend.

Are Jersey Girls still the same? I'd like to hope so....
Hi Corbo:

I fish the Catskills Willowemoc, Esopus and the Beaverkill a few times a year. I fish a lot of North Jersey and PA Streams as well.

Hoagies are a great thing and always hit the spot specially on a spring day breaking for lunch on stream.

Now the jersey girls are still fun to handle and built for speed when you want them to be (LOL).

Hope that was a good update.

Andy
Old 02-15-2012, 12:49 AM

Andy;

My favorite Hoagie came From Lou & Ann's on Route 70 about a mile east of the Ellisburg Circle in Cherry Hill. Hope they are still there.

My favorite Cheese Steak is from Pat's in Philly; 9th & Passyunk at the south end of the market.

The two best places to buy lunch on the planet but neither is within 50 miles of a decent trout river.

I should hook you up with my friend Bill in Medford.... he goes up to the Deleware too much and you guys would have an awesome time.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Brasko View Post
Hi:

I bought the wings from various stores over time. All the colors that you want are available, but you really have to look via on line and local fly shops and stores. Some of the biggest shows here in the Northeast always have some nice quality Duck and Goose quills for sale.

Sincerely
Andy Brasko
Thanks for the information and the reply Andy. My quandry is that I have bags of duck and goose quills that are natural and I was hoping to be able to color them to suit my patterns.
SM
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 02-15-2012, 09:51 AM

Not certain Shawn but I believe there are ducks in South America that have Orange quill feathers.... they're called flaming ducks and they fly so fast only the most experienced gunners can hit them. We shall need to fly to Argentina to shoot them and cruize down to Patagonia for monster browns.

Actually I believe you need to start with white feathers from a domestic breed like a Pekin and then dye them. I think it's caledd annahlene (spelling) dye and can be found at some woodworking supply houses.

Haven't duck hunted here in TN yet but I'm ****ed near out of Wood duck lemon flank feathers and keeping my eye on the road for a dead Flicker for those Yallerhammer Flies.