Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 02-19-2012, 10:58 AM

It is amazing how big of a streamer even a 18 inch Brown will take. I was never much on streamers until last year. About this time of year I started throwing some streamers on a spring creek I fish. I kept going larger and larger. In my limited experience I think this is the way to target brown trout. By using streamers, if there is a healthy population of browns, I will catch 4 browns to every rainbow and maybe more. Most of the time I am just happy to catch any trout and targeting feeding fish with smaller flies is a lot of fun! I am hoping to get to Tenn. this week or the following and really want to get on the South Holston and if feasible maybe the Clinch.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:29 AM

Default at last

Shawn, I've been reading your post for some time and at last I can say that I have accomplished something you have not.
I have indeed caught trout on the S. Holston on brassies, BUT only when there are no hatches present, even midge hatches.
Usually, if I observe nothing, which in not common I will tie on a #16 brassy with a silver bead as a dropper and it has worked with good results.
However, I also fished the so.ho. this past weekend and dries and midge pupae did it for me.
I agree the fish are smaller and as I look at my previous journal entries I am logging fewer fish.
I think the river is changing due to the amount of rains we are receiving. Plus, and this maybe a greater factor, there are more people fishing or more accurately stomping through the feeding lanes than I have seen in years.
Well, you made my day. I have read you post about the Clinch and know I am WAY short of you there but finally "at last" I can say I've got one on you here.
I hope you take this in fun, it is truly me intent.
c.v.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockeye valdez View Post
Shawn, I've been reading your post for some time and at last I can say that I have accomplished something you have not.
I have indeed caught trout on the S. Holston on brassies, BUT only when there are no hatches present, even midge hatches.
Usually, if I observe nothing, which in not common I will tie on a #16 brassy with a silver bead as a dropper and it has worked with good results.
However, I also fished the so.ho. this past weekend and dries and midge pupae did it for me.
I agree the fish are smaller and as I look at my previous journal entries I am logging fewer fish.
I think the river is changing due to the amount of rains we are receiving. Plus, and this maybe a greater factor, there are more people fishing or more accurately stomping through the feeding lanes than I have seen in years.
Well, you made my day. I have read you post about the Clinch and know I am WAY short of you there but finally "at last" I can say I've got one on you here.
I hope you take this in fun, it is truly me intent.
c.v.
CV,
I appreciate your reply and insight. I do not take offense to your post in any way. We are all different and fish differently. I try to be transparent and offer my insight when I post. I will have to give the brassies a chance again on the Soho. Also; I may have to try them on the Clinch when there is limited bug activity. I know I had a hard time Sunday Morning in the rain. It took me four hours to get 8 fish and I had to work hard at it.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 02-21-2012, 11:53 AM

I've caught fish on the clinch using brassies but not many, had better luck with weighted soft hackle with, get this, a red bead head, casting up stream in heavy water.

I read in a book by Dave Hughes that bassies imitate cadis but I never see any on so. ho. If that is the case , probably a good bug for the Lower Holston.

Saturday was a different day, sunny then overcast with some wind. I will say, brassies don't work in thin water and that is where I caught all my fish.

c.v.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:35 PM

Sounds like an awesome way to spend your birthday! I hate to admit it, but I have yet to fish the soho... or go to LRO.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:01 PM

Troutmanbrook

You are sooooo over due! Consider a trip as part of your education.... Like Shawn you have likely given all the Clinch Trout a name.

Perhaps the Clinch guys ought to carpool to Sevierville and pick me up so we can split the gas WHILE WE CAN STILL AFFORD IT!

Went a few weeks ago to soho and it rained; poor BWO hatch lasted about 30 minutes and no sulphurs.... they were eating wicked small stuff just under the film and wouldn't touch a bead head but we managed a few by dragging CDC's under the film just before they entered the feeding zone. YIKES!
Old 02-23-2012, 10:37 AM

Default join the crowd

Corbo, if you decide to come up to the so. ho. you may want to consider bringing your own rock to stand on. I've never seen so many people slinging bugs. It is not uncommon to stand and count 35 fishermen above and below. I heard last week it was more than that at the picnic hole.

The new parking lot at the cul-de-saq only provided space for more people to park and go to the already over crowded corner of the river. I had to intervene with two guys last week. They were about to get into it, both are my friends and thankfully cooler heads prevailed.

I wish I could catch fish on the Clinch, the long drive, cost of gasoline and now the miserable masses don't make for an enjoyable experience.
good luck if you make the trip, I'll probably be standing in the water slinging bugs and swearing at the guy who just waded through my fish.
c.v.