Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 02-06-2012, 02:05 PM

Default A few hours near Tremont (2/3)

I normally don't post trip reports unless it involves a long hike and sleeping in a tent, but I wanted to make this an excercise and see if I could pass Buzz's trip report test . I think I'm missing several of the required photos, including a road shot & insect shot.

Anyway, took me a little while to get up to the mountains on friday, which could have been to my benefit, as all the guys I talked to said the fishing was very slow in the morning. Took a little auto tour of Tremont rd up to the turn around to scope the crowds, and parked my car around 12:30. I guess the water had warmed a little, because by the time I got on the stream, fish were jumping out of the water after caddis. Had about 90% of my hits come on a thunderhead dry. I had thought about trying a small dark caddis, but the t-head seemed to be working, so why change? Another fly that seemed to work well was a #14 "double standard" nymph, which is basically a cross between a hares ear and a PT. Also caught a good sized rainbow on a big blackburn tellico like Walter Babb ties, except on a tmc 200r hook. Got a raging headache around 3:00 so I called it quits shortly thereafter and went to shoot the bull with byron & daniel. Stopped by the market in Maryville on the way home and grabbed a grass-fed ny strip for dinner & a 6 pack of New Belgium "Dig".

Here's some photos of interest or disinterest.

Cheers,
Cody
Old 02-06-2012, 08:37 PM

Default Passed with flying colors

Nice... You got extra credit for the old man in overalls (is that who I think it is?), and the optimism by posting a picture of a "Spring Seasonal". Spring is just around the corner. Your fish are also much larger than the ones I've caught. Or, you've got really tiny hands.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzmcmanus View Post
Nice... You got extra credit for the old man in overalls (is that who I think it is?)
Yes, it is. But I didn't see him up there, that was just a random photo I threw in. Byron did say he'd be at Tfest.

Not sure about the fish/hand size. The larger rainbow was 11-12", but I didn't measure.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzmcmanus View Post
Nice... You got extra credit for the old man in overalls (is that who I think it is?), and the optimism by posting a picture of a "Spring Seasonal". Spring is just around the corner. Your fish are also much larger than the ones I've caught. Or, you've got really tiny hands.
Agreed! Only things better than a picture of an old man in overalls is a pic of a tuber with a mullet or a camaro/mustang with a lift kit.

Also, I think there should be a bonus point for the frosty beverage shot and mention of dinner. Of course a picture of the steak would have been worth double bonus points....

Glad somebody got out and got into some fish.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 02-07-2012, 10:06 AM

Nice cave man type dinner if you had sorghum beer Grannyknot. Great pics thanks for the report looks like you were having a Ball.

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 02-07-2012, 12:01 PM

Thanks for the story and pix. One of these days I'll get up into the park. Sooner the better.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:19 AM

That old-man in the overhauls is Ray Ball. He's probley caught more trout than all of us put together. Ray despite missing some digits ties great flies. He is a greater person than he is a fisherman also.
Lynn
Old 02-08-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Hackle View Post
That old-man in the overhauls is Ray Ball. He's probley caught more trout than all of us put together. Ray despite missing some digits ties great flies. He is a greater person than he is a fisherman also.
Lynn
I'm in full agreement on everything you said Lynn.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:22 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to spotlight

Hey that old man in overalls looks a lot like a guy that gave me a fishin lesson once.....dude I so forgot the driving to the spot photo as well....nice report and fish man!
Old 02-18-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Hackle View Post
Lynn
Thanks, Lynn. For more on Mr. Ball, I recommend all check out Grannyknot's Post #14, on the thread, "Roll Call" by Wilson10 following Troutfest 2011. Ray was the subject of one of my most favorite installments of WBIR 10's Heatland Series hosted by Bill Landry. Bill, a fine angler in his own right, was treated to a quick Tremont fishing lesson and fresh fried trout lunch right on the banks of Middle Prong. I have tried in vain to find a video of the episode. Guess I gotta buy the DVD.