Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 02-13-2012, 09:31 PM

Default The Captain

Here is one of my favorite Fall fly patterns used in September and October on bright Sun Shine days. This fly has taken Browns and Bows consistanly during this time frame. In the spring it will lure a fish or two and is not as affective as I mentioned in the September/October time frame.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:45 PM

Hi Andy,
That is a great looking fly! A lot of guys are wanting to see a great Wet Fly tier at Troutfest and I hope you have been invited. I have not seen the 2012 schedule of tyers so let's hope we can see you there.
Hugh
Old 02-13-2012, 11:48 PM

Hi Hugh:

I am rather new to this site but a tying event or a show is right up my alley. I would love to come. Does anyone know how I can speak to an event person to see if there is room for me. I truly appreciate the comments and if I am invited then yes all I would be tying is wet flies.

Thanks
Andy Brasko
Old 02-14-2012, 01:33 AM

Thumbs up

Very nice Andy. Quill slip wet fly wings and married feathers are not skills that are acquired over night.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:17 AM

Default Troutfest

Andy,
I contacted Sarah Weeks and if she can make a space for you, I'm sure she will get in touch soon.
Hugh
Old 02-14-2012, 08:53 AM

An absolute beauty! I may try and tie some duplicates thanks to your post!
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 02-14-2012, 09:18 AM

I'd love to see a wet fly tier at Troutfest.
Hope you can make it Andy.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:34 PM

Wicked awesome traditional style wet flies; it is ashame this is a dying art.

Few are "hatch matchers" but Trout & Atlantic Salmon have been eating them for centuries.... almost to pretty to tie on the line!

Do you tie Atlantic Salmon flies?
Old 02-14-2012, 07:41 PM

Hi Corbo just diving into Salmon flies. I love wet flies. Here's a quick story.

I was fishing on the South Branch of the Raritan River a section called the Ken Lockwood Gorge. Back in the 80's this stream was classified as tough and not ment for rookies. Not to mention a lot of the veterans would not give you one lick of help or make a helpful suggestion. The vets felt you had to pay your dues, learn and learn and when you finally started to catch fish they became more than helpful. So here I am fishing the Gorge for three weeks and nothing. I through the kitchen sink at them. I also was so observant and observed the behaviour of the Trout feeding. So another weekend goes by and again two days of nothing and frustration. I was almost ready to go and fish another stream where I was able to catch fish. So in desperation I tyed on a Dark Hendrickson wet fly that I had bought from K-Mart. The flies they sold came in a box from Keystone flies. I had no clue what kind of flies these were back then, but I felt they looked cool and wanted them for a collection if nothing else at all. So on my second cast in a few minutes I landed my very first Brown Trout on a stream that was stated not for rookies. I made a few more casts and when all was said and done that day I landed about 7 or 8 trout mostly all Browns and one or two Brookies. On my way home I was floating in the clouds and could not believe what had happened to me that day. It was from that day on that I and wet flies connected. I have been fishing and tying them ever since. Now I also love streamers and fish them too and maybe once or twice a year dry flies. Wet flies are extremely productive and a lost art to fish with. I have seen a lot of tyers tying them on other web sites, but that is all they do, Tye them. I love great looking wet flies and love to fish them as well. I feel the lost art now a days is knowing when and which wet fly will work. Time of year does very from state to state a bit. But that is a quick story on my life with this style of fishing. I will never change and will continue to do so until my time on this earth is over. I hope people truly do not forget these flies far as fishing. They do take time and patience to tye, but are a snap once you know how. This sir is what I find cool about fly fishing. Some of us gravitate to dry flies, some to wets, others to streamers, Others Emergers and yet other to nymphs and of course their is the all around that likes a little it of everything. Wet flies to most anglers are not fished with now a days mainly because of thier availability and secondly they are not easy to tye at first and you also have to search a bit for materials. Sorry for being a long winded blow hard on this one. I just love this kind of fishing and tying.

Sincerely
Andy Brasko
Old 02-15-2012, 12:37 AM

Well Andy.... that was a long paragraph and I love your enthusiasm. I too grew up in South Jersey.

When I was 9 I got my first fly rod purchased at Stratton's Sporting goods in Audubon on the White Hourse Pike. Old George sold few flies but what he had were mostly traditional wets.

When I was 10 I bought a fly tying kit at the Philly Sportsman's show (1970) and it came with a book by Eric Liescer (spelling name wrong) and there were very good directions for tying wets though it was of course black and white... the kit came with lotsa duck quill and exotic colored feathers, furs and floss. I still have some of these materials today!

Well; in the school library were a few books by various Catskill guys & Lee Wulff wherein descriptions of "fishing a brace" of wet flies (3 in number, one on the point and two droppers) were the standard means for catching trout in these New York, Vermont and upper Jersey waters.

SO; I started tying mostly wet flies and back in those days materials were very scarce; especially in South Jersey... each year at the Philly show I would buy whatever they had and I could afford. Do you remember all the materials from "UNIVERSAL VISE"? They were a MA company; still have some carded silk floss, tinsel, gold wire, brass wire etc. from those days. Heck I still have pieces of fur for dubbing... they were sold as tying material but were scrap from the fur coat industry that Universal sold.

Anyway... about the time I was 12 or 13 a guy took me to fish the Raritan and I did catch a couple fish on my wet flies casting a brace and of course losing a ****ton of flies to trees and the bottom.

When I first moved to Maine full time in 1984 (after graduating Rutgers Camden and knowing NJ was never gonna be a fly fishing mecca) I still primarily used wets & classic streamers that I tied myself but as the years went bye I seemed to move toward mostly traditional dry flies, then parachutes and so on until I stopped tying these wets altogether.

The last fish I caught on one of my wets was in the Sandy River about 1993; a beautiful brown who sucked up a yellow professor.. when I landed him I found the fly had pruned off the bottom of his gills and he died. I fed him to my father.

Oh well; your flies are well constructed and beautiful... back in the day I could look at any traditional wet and tell you the name as I owned several books long since given away or donated that had hundreds of color plates with all the names and materials lists.

Oh how I wish I still had them.

You are an inspiration. Thanks Richard.