Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Why We Fly Fish

Old 02-03-2012, 03:17 PM

Default Thinking

Being old, retired and having spare time I often do a lot of thinking about what I want and what I want to get out of things. A lot of my time is spent fly fishing for trout, fly tying and thinking about same. I used to try and be a serious big game hunter. I found out I really was not having fun like I should so I did more fly fishing for trout. I fished over a 121 days last year.

While fishing I try not to be concerned about size or numbers. I try and relax and have fun.

I really don't mind if someone asks me what fly I am using and if I have extras I normally give them a few. If I happen to fish fairly near someone I always stop and ask if I am going to be crowding them. On the rare occasion I get into the fish and others are having a rough time I may mention what I am using. In my travels I have asked for assistance and have been treated like this on many occasions. I remember fishing for landlocked salmon in Maine. I was not having much luck my first day and a kind gentleman offered me some flies and gave me the run he was fishing. I was promptly into fish. I have run into similar people on the South Holston in Tenn., the Au Sable in Michigan and various streams out west. I value the time I spend talking with others both on the stream and in fly shops.

I am pretty much strictly catch and release on trout and really think a fly rod is the only way to go. At times I really wonder if using an indicator really has much to do with real fly fishing. On the other hand I do stoop to using one. Others may think different and that is OK as long as they are legal.

This is the only forum I participate in and read on a regular basis. I may not be too smart but I am old and wise enough to know my opinion is not the only one and I may be wrong. I think we all should spend a little time thinking about why we fish and a little about how our behavior may effect and be perceived by others..
Old 02-06-2012, 01:19 AM

Very cool, Trico. I've found that I like to try for the big one's on occasion and I try and help others that seem lost (like I was as little as two years ago). I find that I don't have nearly as much fun if I'm not with a friend or loved one. The most fun I have fishing is when I'm my sister. She has only caught one trout in about 5 trips but I think that will improve. I used to crave fishing and hunting a lot and then found out that time with God and helping others was what I really wanted. That has occured recently as well. I guess we change as we age and our focus shifts. Anyway, thanks for sharing your thoughts and letting me share mine.

Dwayne
Old 02-06-2012, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trico View Post
Being old, retired and having spare time I often do a lot of thinking about what I want and what I want to get out of things. A lot of my time is spent fly fishing for trout, fly tying and thinking about same. I used to try and be a serious big game hunter. I found out I really was not having fun like I should so I did more fly fishing for trout. I fished over a 121 days last year.

While fishing I try not to be concerned about size or numbers. I try and relax and have fun.

I really don't mind if someone asks me what fly I am using and if I have extras I normally give them a few. If I happen to fish fairly near someone I always stop and ask if I am going to be crowding them. On the rare occasion I get into the fish and others are having a rough time I may mention what I am using. In my travels I have asked for assistance and have been treated like this on many occasions. I remember fishing for landlocked salmon in Maine. I was not having much luck my first day and a kind gentleman offered me some flies and gave me the run he was fishing. I was promptly into fish. I have run into similar people on the South Holston in Tenn., the Au Sable in Michigan and various streams out west. I value the time I spend talking with others both on the stream and in fly shops.

I am pretty much strictly catch and release on trout and really think a fly rod is the only way to go. At times I really wonder if using an indicator really has much to do with real fly fishing. On the other hand I do stoop to using one. Others may think different and that is OK as long as they are legal.

This is the only forum I participate in and read on a regular basis. I may not be too smart but I am old and wise enough to know my opinion is not the only one and I may be wrong. I think we all should spend a little time thinking about why we fish and a little about how our behavior may effect and be perceived by others..
Introspection is a great way to learn more about yourself and to truly comprehend where you stand in life. I am glad you posted this topic and I can appreciate your words. I personally feel that I never grew as a man until I could look at my own traits and actions with introspection.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 02-07-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:
It's not all about catching fish- it's about being "away from it all." It's about watching the hawks, eagles, and osprey soaring above you; watching the blue heron flip a fish up on the bank and hopping up on the bank and swallowing the fish. It's about hearing the whisper and roar of the river. It's about sharing the day with friends, swapping stories of other days that we shared. It's about the funny stories and the sad stories like the one that got away. Hunting and fishing are two sports were you can do absolutely nothing, yet you can say that you went hunting and fishing. BTW, that's why some call it "fishing" and not "catching."
Old 02-07-2012, 10:41 AM

Trico:

Where were you fishing for the Maine Landlocks?

I have heard people refer to fly fishing as a "Zen Thing" and sorta understand why.... When I'm alone in the woods or wading a river with nobody around.... I have only myself for company and have discovered it's a great way to discover myself. No doubt a few deer owe their lives to my not paying attention while looking inward.

I should start writing again; but I'm afraid.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:11 PM

Corbo:

My wife and I fished Grand Lake Stream. We stayed at Weatherbys resort. I think Grand Lake Stream one of the clearest most beautiful rivers I have ever fished.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:00 PM

Trico;

Funny thing; over 25 years in Maine I never fished Frand Lake Stream!

I never had to travel that far to get onto Landlocks... a 25 mile drive put me on the Kennebec at the Solon Tailwater where I could get landlocks, brown, rainbows or brookies on drys.

The East Outlet (Kennebec) of Moosehead was about 100 miles drive and the West Branch of the Penobscot farther still but I fished them often. If you get back up to Maine I recommend these two rivers.

The Rangeley Region also has many good rivers with Landlocks; I fished them less frequently though.

Landlock Salmon like to eat landlock smelt but also take drys... wish someone would dump some into the SoHo.... they jump like mad!

Fishing in Maine pretty much has gone to **** over the years and it's a dhort season... I am spoiled here!

Last edited by Corbo; 02-07-2012 at 07:00 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 02-08-2012, 11:14 AM

Corbo

Funny you mentioned the Kennbec as I recently added that river on my list of where to fish. I have noted your recommendations. I only caught one salmon on a streamer the rest were on nymphs with most on dries. Pink hendricksons size 14 seemed to work best if I remember. They do jump! I am in Tenn. quite a bit and have only fished the S. Holston twice. Of the three rivers I have fished in Tenn. it seems to be my favorite.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:50 PM

The Kennebec is a long river; depending on where you fish it there are different fish to catch.

Up by Moosehead it's Landlocked Salmon and sometimes brook trout (the ponds up that way have lotsa small brookies and around the 4th of July there are enormous HEX hatches requiring size 8 & 10 drys!)); if you move down river near Bingham it's rainbows and then there's the Solon and Madison tailwaters with browns and then further down in Fairfield below Shawmut dam (once awesome but not as good anymore) it's rainbows and browns, below Waterville it's browns, smallies and stripers.

The lower Kennebc has had several poor years on stripers but was awesome 10 years ago; they don't seem to come up the coast like the did and nobody knows why for certain.

If you plan to go there contact me and I'll get you hooked up with the right places,flies and people so you'll have a great time.... Up there I'm sorta famous when it comes to flyfishing and rivers.... down here I fish in obscurity! LOL