Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 02-23-2012, 08:42 PM

Default Tourist Jet Boat on the French Broad?

I heard some disturbing news this week. This is a rumor. The talk is, a person bought some property on the French Broad River at the 61 Bridge. This person intends to install a Zip-Line across the river for tourists. Additionally, this person has purchased some jet boats that are capable of transporting 20 people on tours of the French Broad River.

Has anyone heard about this?

Byron
Old 02-23-2012, 09:24 PM

Byron,
Are you talking about the Hwy.66 bridge crossing the French Broad River coming from the I-40 into Sevierville/Pigeon Forge area? A very large walk out ramp has been built out over the river on the North Side just above the Old Lee Greenwood Theater. Another new building is being started in the field just as you cross the river and before you get to the knife building. The large extended ramp will be used for something like a Zip Line or viewing area. I can't tell about a boat ramp.
Hugh
Old 02-23-2012, 11:30 PM

It would make no difference and you would hardly notice another jet boat or two in the mess of other jets running up and down that river. As far as the zip line, a few folks getting killed by dropping into the river at high flows, and it will go away as will the entire business.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:52 AM

Hugh,

That is the bridge from what I understand. They guy also told me the business purchased 5 jet boats capable of holding 20 passengers each. He called them New Zealand jet boats. Please keep in mind that this is a rumor.

Byron
Old 02-24-2012, 08:25 AM

I have seen the zipline and the docks on the river. It does not surprise me that Sevierville will allow this venture. They will do anything to bring in more tourist no matter how much it affects the natural beauty of the area. and there is not much of that left. I didn't know about the jet boat tours. Hopefully it wont last.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:04 PM

Byron I have a friend on the utility board in Sevierville. He told me about it in January. Pretty sure those are no rumors. I think he's already been involved in some work for this also.I may be mistaken on my last point. I'll see what I can find out. Will be @ his house this weekend.
Lynn
Old 02-24-2012, 12:38 PM

First Gatlinburg dumps raw sewage into a trophy smallmouth river and gets basically a slap on the wrist for how they manage the facility and protect the surrounding water resource. I heard another person was killed there yesterday.
Now something like this might be coming. Can you imagine wading out on the river on a nice calm peaceful shoal and this blows by you. How would you feel if they did something like this on the South Holston, Watauga, or the Clinch river? How about the little river also? Wish there was some way to stop this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBT-2yGXVwU
Old 02-24-2012, 12:42 PM

Expect there to be hourly traffic accidents on 66 because people are watching idiots ZIP across the river 100's of feet in the air.... some might even drive off the bridge!

Bad Idea... how many idots are there who will pay big money to fly over the river? I bet it fails due to high ticket prices and small profit margin.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbo View Post
Expect there to be hourly traffic accidents on 66 because people are watching idiots ZIP across the river 100's of feet in the air.... some might even drive off the bridge!

Bad Idea... how many idots are there who will pay big money to fly over the river? I bet it fails due to high ticket prices and small profit margin.
Unfortunately there seems to be an endless supply of irrational tourists who just seem to have money spilling out of their pockets. I have seen ziplines similar to this one in elevation and length that charged $75/person, and the thrill of the experience just kept the line growing.

I avoid Sevierville/PF/G-burg like the plague. I still don't know why so many people go there and claim to be in the mountains....

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 02-24-2012, 02:56 PM

Default jet boats

You may not want to hear this Troutman but as I was waiting for the water to go down on the so.ho. last week one of the shallow running jet boats screamed up the river.

I suppose air boats on low water will be next.

c.v.