Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 03-08-2012, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbo View Post
Went past the site today and they are putting up some kind of building on the South side that is rather large and close to the road. No doubt so passers-by on route 66 will see all the fun available.

Much of Sevier County is an eye full if not an eye sore but this spectcle next to a busy highway will cause accident for certain due to RUBBER NECKING.

NOW AS TO EROSION on the CLINCH, FRENC BROAD OR HOLSTON ... The Federal Power Act, NEPA etc and the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission regulary reviews an on going "shoreline management plan" for every project impoundment.... it is too bad that for the most part dam operators are not held responsible for their discharge and the environmental harm down river.... sorta like once the water passes over or through the dam the operators are no longer responsible for problems beyond the projects immediate tailwater. Of course there are down river water commitments that must also be met..... like enough water to adequately dillute wastewater treatment or enough cool water to chill out a nuke plant or other non-hydro energy producer or water for a papermill etc.

IMO this is gross negligence whether it be on the Clinch or anywhere else. In Maine We (meaning the Kennebec Chapter of TU & the Kennebec Coalition) "intervened in opposition to well more than a dozen hydro re-kicensing proceedures and sucessfully fought for "issues" on impoindments, issues below the dams and changes in the flow regime not to mention recreational "enhancements"....

I personally wrote all those documents for many years on behalf of the Kennebec chapter and our partners... and we were very sucessful but it took fifteen years. It is expensive however and takes a large committment in time, energy and money. All you need to get what you want is the resolve!

There is no longer an Edwards Dam on the Kennebec.... National TU had virtually nothing to do with it but of course they now take all the credit! What's important is that you can get what you want if yu want it bad enough.

Been there done that.... you who are concerned need to organize! Feel strongly enough perhaps I can show you how it is done & won.

BTW... I am not a liberal environmentalist whacko.... politically I make Newt G. look like Dennis Kucinich.... I just love rivers too much....
Good info Corbo, and I am a lot like you when it comes to stuff. I have a deep love for this countries natural resources and especially our rivers/streams. I am a right wing radical conservative on the majority of issues but drift to tree hugger land when it comes to our lands and waterways for the most part.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:20 PM

Since the TWRA boat ramp under the bridge is currently closed until 2014 the only access to the french broad in sevierville is via the little pigeon. This weekend the-dip ****s in the jet boat ran from the bridge down to the the confluence of the LP and up the LP where they do a quick turn and return the same route. They almost ran over a friend of mine in the small channel connecting the two as he floated down (low water). Since he was coming from the LP into the FB he was not visible from an upriver stance on the FB. Not only did the narrowly miss him on the way into the LP, they did not slow nor avert there course once they turned and were headed back out to the FB while he was literally in the narrow channel connecting the two. These folks aren't going to be in business too long as they are going to incur a wrath of complaints right up until the point they actually kill someone.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:31 PM

Sounds like OPERATING recklessly! You should report such behavior immediately to TWRA AND the Sevier County Sheriff. If someone was operating an automobile like this they would be arrested.

Somebody is going to be injured or killed by these idiot thrill seekers; boating like this is not recreational in any traditional sense, it's all about making money.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
If someone was operating an automobile like this they would be arrested.
This may be off the subject but it doesn't happen around here. I am amazed how people drive and yet don't have accidents. Speed limits, stop sign, traffic lights are a mere suggestion, not a law.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:47 PM

I fished the piegon Saturday, and on my way in, A TWRA agent was on his way out. I stoped and talked to him for a few. He never did ask me for my lic. One thing I asked him was, how they planed on handeling this jet boat or deal. He told me that he went and spoke to the owner of the jet boat tour/ zip line and told him clearly that if he seen anyone of the his boat captians running high rates of speed, doing dough nuts or etc. "He was writing ticketts and or maybe hauling them to jail". I said thats great but you had better plan on camping out down there, and I also asked if I was fishing and one came running past me like a bat out of ****, if I could shoot and claim self deffence. He just laughed, and asured me that it would not get out of hand.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knothead View Post
I am amazed how people drive and yet don't have accidents. Speed limits, stop sign, traffic lights are a mere suggestion, not a law.
So, you know my father-in-law...

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 05-15-2012, 03:15 PM

They leave that fancy Jetboat parked in the river on the north side 24/7; just sayin....
Old 05-15-2012, 07:10 PM

I understand this causes an aesthetic issue, but if you read what trout man posted the other day you will see a much larger issue, and one that actually poses danger to the resource. Tournaments on river bass will destroy and has destroyed fisheries.

That deserves conservation focus long before this which is trivial to a degree when the two are compared.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:
has destroyed fisheries
waterwolf, could you give some specifics on this? Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knothead View Post
waterwolf, could you give some specifics on this? Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks.
The pigeon river below Newport drew the attention of tournament guys on Douglas, and in 2 years time they converted it from one of the best smallmouth stretches to an area where virtually no bass existed. Saddest thing I have ever witnessed, and it is now starting to affect both the French broad and holston.

This is a real and serious threat, those who worry about these rivers would be better served focusing on the tournaments rather than an a hole in a boat