Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 03-02-2012, 08:30 PM

Default Thought this might be of interest.....

Thought this might be of interest to everyone...

"In USA today in the state blurbs "Tennessee: Nashville-Republican Sen. Lamar Alexander praised Interior Secretary Ken Salazar's decision to keep TN fish hatcheries at Erwin and Dale Hollow open until joint funding can be secured. Salazar told a Senate appropriations panel his agency is pursuing funding with TVA and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers."
Old 03-03-2012, 07:57 AM

I would be stunned if TVA funded any part of a fish hatchery.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:15 AM

Every time we buy fishing gear federal taxes exist on the products... we pay for these fish.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
I would be stunned if TVA funded any part of a fish hatchery.
Yeah, they are on a tight noose right now with spending on direct projects. However; the secondary-level of spending=the big dark hole, is always hemorrhaging millions of dollars on indirect costs.

However; I guess one could construe that they are indirectly funding hatcheries on the few tail-waters that are self-sustaining in fish reproduction.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 03-03-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbo View Post
Every time we buy fishing gear federal taxes exist on the products... we pay for these fish.
No we don't, our federal taxes are spent on a million things that are so far removed from fish they can't even see water. Such as huge entitlement programs, health care, stimulus plans, etc etc.

Just think how many fish could be stocked with the 800 billion dollars wasted on the 2009 Stimulus plan? Or how many fish weren't stocked because "someone" paid off their political buddies with money invested into their "green energy" companies which are now bankrupt.

Our federal tax dollars are wasted so badly it should be considered an atrocity by anyone who pays taxes.

I have said it before, and will again the federal govt has zero business raising fish. Last time I checked the constitution was missing a section dealing with fishery stocking.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Corbo is correct. He is referring to the Wallop-Breaux Act which provides for a special tax on fishing tackle and related items. As a custom rodbuilder, I am required to collect a tax on each rod I build and pay the IRS. The money is then given to the USF&WS. Then, the money is distributed to the states in accordance to the number of fishing licenses sold.
Hunters also pay a tax on guns, ammo, archery, etc. as provided under the Pittman-Robertson Act. You can google these acts to see what they are.
Hunters and anglers are the only groups of people who actually asked to be taxed to keep their respective sports going.
When you get into general funds going for hunting and fishing, you are opening the door for the Anti's to stop our sports or redirect the money to other government programs. Believe me, they are out there!
Old 03-04-2012, 12:03 AM

Thanks for the educational lesson, I had never heard of the tax you mentioned.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:11 AM

Waterwolf;

I totally agree with you and others that Federal Spending on PORK is totally out of control.

The Laws more properly described by Knothead were originally supposed to be dedicated revenues re-distributed to the States for the purpose of enhancing recreational values. Unfortunately it is easy to mis-direct these DEDICATED funds as they are easy money for the creeps who run our country.

BTW... a portion of gas tax (boats, atv's etc) also goes into this fund.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbo View Post
Waterwolf;

I totally agree with you and others that Federal Spending on PORK is totally out of control.

The Laws more properly described by Knothead were originally supposed to be dedicated revenues re-distributed to the States for the purpose of enhancing recreational values. Unfortunately it is easy to mis-direct these DEDICATED funds as they are easy money for the creeps who run our country.

BTW... a portion of gas tax (boats, atv's etc) also goes into this fund.
Agreed on the creeps in congress spending our money poorly, unfortunately the top of the pack is the absolute worst.

I had no clue that this fund was out there, good to know, and would be a good thing if the money if used as it is supposed to be used.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:14 PM

Knothead:
I appreciate you posting the info on the Wallop-Breaux Act. I didn’t know about the Act; however, I was well aware of the Pittman-Robertson Act. Knothead, you’re right….the anti’s are out there….not to get off of the subject, but here’s an article I ran across yesterday….. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46457440/ns/local_news-sacramento_ca/t/wildlife-official-under-fire-mountain-lion-hunt/
The article linked above leaves me shaking my head, but as you put it, a general fund would leave the door open for the anti’s. Personally, I’m quite thankful for the Acts mentioned above.