Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 02-28-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMax View Post
Surfdog,

I too am doing the same thing. I am 90% sold on a new TFO BVK 8'6" 4WT for my money I dont see anything similar. It is a fast action 4 piece rod. My question to the board is: does the BVK (fast action) need to be set up with over weighted line? I have heard several people say that you should "overline" the setup i.e. run a 5 wt line. I know this will help load the rod faster but other than less false cast what is the real benifiet? distance? accuracy? There are lines out there designed for the modern fast action rods such as the SA GPX, Rio Grand, and I have even heard Cortland 333ProTrout is good. These lines all seem to be 4.5 wt lines. This rod is intended for my "everyday" rod which mostly consist of dry/dropper in the GSM or double nymph on the clinch. Does anybody have any ideas or thoughts about line choice?
The relatively new BVK rods in 8' 3wt. and 8'6" 4wt. configurations are both viable options for the park if that is what you are looking for. Both could easily throw a GPX line or a wt. heavier but most TFO's can. Using a 5wt. line is actually going to slow the rod down a bit. With that usually comes a sacrifice in distance and does not "add" distance but you really don't need to worry about that much with the BVK. I have cast the 3wt. but not the 4wt. and it can lay out some line... Again, it is a faster stick but still manages to retain some sensitivity and is super light! If someone gave me one I would certainly fish it with a heavier line but that's just me. I have 3 TFO finesse rods and those are more my style for the mountains. However, the 4wt. BVK set up right for your tastes with the desired line would be a great do it all rod for light to medium trout fishing. And don't go cheap on the line... the few extra dollars spent for something like a Rio or SA line are worth it IMHO. I would say to start off with a SA GPX 4wt. line to see how you like it and go from there...

Tight Lines,
Old 02-28-2012, 06:56 PM

I do use the gpx line now on my 5wt and 8wt and really like it. a friend is trying to steer me towards a rio avid trout line for the 4wt that I'm looking to purchase
. I don't know if any shop is going to let me test cast lines that they don't already have spooled. I do have a budget of $400 for the rod reel and line so the sage / winston boron are out of my league Also being in south florida the 2 fly shops that I can get to do not carry a lot of 4wt trout equipment
Old 02-28-2012, 07:28 PM

I have my 4 wt 8.5 foot BVK lined with 5 wt Rio Gold. I am not a great distance caster but I can really get it out there with that rod and it's current set up. Not sure how it would cast with 4 wt line.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:51 PM

went to bps today, they had no tfo 4wt products , nothing to test cast in the 4wts except a loomas 4pro,dissapointing action felt to slow/mushy. going to ole florida fly shoppe tommorrow see what they have to test cast.I have seen some tfo pro series coming up in clearance sales for $100 dollars as they put out the proII.

Last edited by surfdog; 03-03-2012 at 09:29 AM..
Old 03-05-2012, 04:53 PM

Most of our customers do not over line a fly rod by a full line size. We do sell fly lines that are 1/2 size heavier such as the GPX or Rio Grand to customers who want to slow down a rod a little. We sell quite a few of those. Over lining would help you load the rod at a shorter distance but I would not do it. I have tried it before and was not happy with the result.

I do have a GPX on a Winston LT and I like that combination.

I bought a TFO BVK 6 Weight last Summer and I really like it a lot. It is not over lined. I'm planning to buy a BVK 7 weight this year. They are really nice rods for the money. They are light too. If you do not want to spend the money on a Sage One, a Helios or a high end Winston, the BVK is a very good less expensive choice.

Byron
Old 03-05-2012, 09:34 PM

try the new sage "one" rod or the helios. Both of these are supper nice rods. you can never go wrong with a winston either.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:21 PM

Hi Surfdog,

I was reminded about Rule #2 after reading your post yesterday, "Listen to your Customers". I started working on a new category today on our online catalog called Rod, Reel and Fly Line Outfits. Right now it is under the "Rods" category and under construction. It will probably show up under the Reel category too. I may make it a "Primary Category". There is just one outfit in different weights on there now but you will see many choices soon, over the next few days. The next time a customer calls about fly fishing outfits, our staff will have many choices and options. Mail order customers will have the same choices. You would think after 18 years in this business I would have addressed that opportunity.

Thank you for your input. I really appreciate you pointing out a customer service opportunity even though I don't think you knew you were doing it. If I can help you let me know. I owe you on this one.

Byron
Old 03-06-2012, 08:54 PM

Byron , when I emailed the store I got no response for a few days,I then called and paula told me there was no discounting on grouping rod/reel/line except that backing would be free. I think it would be in your best interest to look at some of the other on line sources to see what they are offering (cabelas.com basspro.com ). I have not purchased yet but am leaning heavily towards the tfo 4wt after casting the 5wt last weekend and all the praise the series is getting. I won't be needing a trout rod until may so hopefully you can work some deals out with tfo and a rod and line manufacturer. I'm sure I'm not the only economically limited (cheap) consumer looking at your web site thanks. Dan Krug
Old 03-06-2012, 09:07 PM

flyred ,you must have missed an earlier post stating I only had $400 to spend ,after going to 3 fly shops this past weekend and talking to lots of people including shop employees the general opinion was that the tfo bvk could not be beat ,not just for the money but for the performance . two fly shop managers told me that the sage and orvis rods although amazing rods were more jewelery for their customer's status ( I was in west palm beach and boca raton) good thing I was wearing my work clothes
Old 03-06-2012, 09:34 PM

Hey Dan,

I think you are exactly right. We will try to do better. Thank you for your input again.

Byron