Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 02-29-2012, 10:50 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to spotlight
Default Strange Day Today??

I am curious if anyone else got up to the park to fish today? I thought for sure partly cloudy there would be a few but I only seen one other fisherman...OK so maybe I missed the twister forecast for the evening.

It was a strange day I only seen a couple of small bugs hatching caught 2 minnows on the dry fly then swapped to a tellico...nothing so I swapped to a prince and dropped a copper john off that and managed one really nice rainbow from a deep run and that was it....I didn't see one trout rise.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotlight View Post
I am curious if anyone else got up to the park to fish today? I thought for sure partly cloudy there would be a few but I only seen one other fisherman...OK so maybe I missed the twister forecast for the evening.

It was a strange day I only seen a couple of small bugs hatching caught 2 minnows on the dry fly then swapped to a tellico...nothing so I swapped to a prince and dropped a copper john off that and managed one really nice rainbow from a deep run and that was it....I didn't see one trout rise.
Sounds like the barometric change had them uneasy... Good post information (spotlight) if you believe in it like I do...
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 03-01-2012, 09:52 AM

Shawn, That was my thought but it was 70 degrees and not hatches either? was very odd the park was so still it was almost erie.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:22 AM

We had the same situation on Tuesday elsewhere. I think it was the storms coming through. It really has nothing to do with the temperatures just the pressures.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:41 PM

If you have a falling barometer, fish seem to sense it and turn off. When I lived in central KY, I was fishing a small farm pond at the advent of a cold front. Just before the front came through, I caught one bass after another. When the wind started up and it cooled off, the fish turned off and went home, whereever that was.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:56 PM

It has nothing to do with the barometer. I figure the fish were watching WBIR and had seen that we were under a tornado WARNING so they had taken cover under the largest rock they could find.

Got your email. We'll have to hook up sometime.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:32 PM

The funny part was when I hit 321 from the Wye my girlfriend called and said what are you doing fishing with tornado warnings out ....I said hmm it was nice in the park not even really that windy driving home I was like whew! got out of there just in the nick of time.....

Buzz thanks for the e-mail I got your number saved
Old 03-02-2012, 03:12 PM

I fished the park on Monday the 27th and the fish were feeding all day. I dont remember what the baro pressure was that day according to Byron's report though.

Old 03-02-2012, 03:54 PM

Around 30.4 and fairly steady with a little rise in the afternoon.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:39 PM

I fished on Tuesday up at Sams Creek. As it was a couple of week ago, the water temp was 38 degrees but the air temp was warm enough that I fished ost of the afternoon in a T shirt. In about 3 1/2 hours I caught 15 brookies and lost several others when they shook off. Unlike a couple of weeks ago, there were some pretty aggressive strikes. I caught everything on a March Brown. No need for nymphs despite the cold water temps.

BTW, that makes three months in a row for a brookie catch - on a roll and the best months yet to come.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com