Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 03-08-2012, 09:59 AM

Question Policy on Use of Restricted Roads in the Park

Can someone enlighten me on what the National Park Services policy or federal mandate is regarding service roads that are presently restricted to NPS vehicle use only?

Take for example, those portions of Little River Trail or Indian Creek Trail to the turnarounds beyond the locked gates. Is there something in the law that would forbid a potential concessionaire from petitioning the government to provide a for-a-fee shuttle service on such?
Old 03-08-2012, 10:22 AM

I have always heard that the problem with the Little River trail roadway that it was an issue of safety...there are several places where the river has washed out the bank and there wasn't enough money to pay for the improvements...in my youth you were able to drive all the way up to the fork of Fish Camp Prong....I spoke to one of the maintenance crew members in the last year or two who told me that they were having to hike into this area to get to the trails that needed work.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:29 AM

If people are not willing/unable to walk the extra mile they should fish by the road or ride around the loop. The two you mentioned are "trails"...

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com
Old 03-15-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouseMan77 View Post
If people are not willing/unable to walk the extra mile they should fish by the road or ride around the loop. The two you mentioned are "trails"...
GrouseMan, that's true. To us pedestrians, they are trails, but to the Park Service, they are "roads" – at least until they wash out. My laziness is only matched by my cheapness. I thought that if I and my three boys could hitch a ride on a non-invasive 4WD Sabaru commercial shuttle up as far as the turnarounds, we could then walk the extra mile or two and day fish some new water near the backcountry campsites. That way I think I could save a buck or two next year as compared to camping.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:34 AM

I am with grouseman on this.

I sense a hidden agenda with JoeFred.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:41 AM

Having just hiked up the LR trail last Sunday there is no way any kind of vehicle short of a horse or mule is going to make it up to the turn around without a lot of work for which I know there is no money. My 19 year old son is already planning a day trip to fish the area around CS30...for him that is doable...several years ago I met up with a board member and we actually fished as high as the old CS23....thus was a day that started at sun up and ended at sun down....no pain no gain....
Old 03-15-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mora521 View Post
I am with grouseman on this.

I sense a hidden agenda with JoeFred.
You're spot on, mora521. I once had a Subaru.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFred View Post
GrouseMan, that's true. To us pedestrians, they are trails, but to the Park Service, they are "roads" – at least until they wash out. My laziness is only matched by my cheapness. I thought that if I and my three boys could hitch a ride on a non-invasive 4WD Sabaru commercial shuttle up as far as the turnarounds, we could then walk the extra mile or two and day fish some new water near the backcountry campsites. That way I think I could save a buck or two next year as compared to camping.
I think you and your boys will find plenty of water elsewhere in the park if you don't want to walk. Since the trail is so flat, I would think that if your kids were over the age of 4 would be able to hike it pretty easily. Freddy & I didn't hit the trailhead till noon yesterday, and yet we were able to make it past 23. While I am a bit sore, it's nothing compared to Upper Deep, or Hyatt ridge.

I used to wish we had more access on these roads. It would be pretty cool to still be able to drive up to Bote mountain to the turnaround, or Ramsey's. But think about the impact from all the tourons that would have. Then add to that the Bigger Govt. we would need in order to staff the park service. So in the end I think it's better for the resource, the taxpayer, and in the end my personal enjoyment (even if it takes a extra mile or so) if these roads remain closed. One thing that would be nice would be less gravel on the Little River trail as it's hard on your feet, but I'm sure they need these roads for rescue, maintaince work, and fire.

As for shuttles I like the Smokies WW2 model. Everyone takes buses, and they make stops at all the trailheads.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:16 PM

Joe Fred;

Perhaps some of us older broke-down fly fishin dudes ought to purchase those SEGWAY machines?

They are electric, non-polluting and if we get properly certified as handicapped (I'm broken down real bad) then it seems resonable we should be allowed to use them in the park.... I'd get knobby ties and trailer for mine.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:57 AM

We had a local millionaire who bought a few Segway toys when they came out. I think they sold for about $4-5K. I don't think they would do any good as an off-road vehicle.