Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 03-15-2012, 11:14 PM

Fred thanks for the map offer that is kind of you. Since this is a forum on the Smoky Mountains I think it is kind of given that some people might disagree with decisions made by the park and want to express that on here. If we were only allowed to say good things about the park management then the forum would not be of much account. I want to thank Byron for understanding that and for letting us express ourselves here in a civilized fashion. Maybe the park had no choice. Maybe this was an edict passed down from Washington. That very well could be the case. We will all know the answer to that soon I have been told there has been a Freedom of Information Act filed by a fellow from Morristown to force the park service to reveal all communication between Washington and the Sugarlands concerning the fee. It is good to see people questioning what their government is doing instead of just sitting back and saying "well it's only $4......"

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 03-16-2012, 06:36 AM

Adam,thanks for all the time you've spent looking into things. JF

Last edited by JoeFred; 05-05-2012 at 12:59 PM..
Old 03-16-2012, 12:59 PM

Fred--The battle for the backcountry is by no means over. The edict may have come down from Sugarlands but I for one will not take it lightly. Nor would many others. More FOIA requests are in the works, and the ones already filed have revealed that the whole fee proposal was based on false information.
My greatest fear, and I don't think it is simple paranoia, is that this is a "foot in the door" to start charging Park users for anything and everything.
The argument that other parks charge is misleading, overly simplistic, and most of all, fails to recognize that the Smokies, unlike other national parks, involved extensive use of eminent domain AND not only great sacrifice but great contributions by locals. Guess who gets hurt most by fees? Locals.
It's a downright shame.
Jim Casada
Old 03-17-2012, 07:43 AM

Please share with me (but not here) the name of a highly visable brick and mortar backcountry outfittter specifically in Pigeon Forge and/or Cherokee which might be interested in selling or displaying info about the $4 backcountry stream and trail maps. Please e-mail to info at saintclairmapping dot com.

Thanks!

Last edited by JoeFred; 03-19-2012 at 07:25 AM.. Reason: Shortened
Old 03-19-2012, 12:44 PM

Default Mr. Casada's Book

Jim's books did not mysteriously disappear from the Visitor Center's book departments. I saw the current inventory today in each store, on their computer system, including what is in the warehouse. In fact, the buyer said she was going to place an order today either e-mail or fax, I can't remember exactly. But, under the circumstances I described, she said she would call the order in. They have not placed their orders for books this year but they are doing it now.

Byron
Old 03-19-2012, 04:20 PM

Byron is correct. A very nice lady called and placed an order today, although I would note that apparently the book had been out of stock for some time and she acknowledged that was likely the case. Folks had told me as much in a number of phone calls and e-mails, and I had personally checked the shelves at Luftee.

Whatever the exact nature of the situation, it has been rectified, and I'd like to thank Byron and a number of folks who contacted the Visitor Centers on my behalf for getting matters straight. It clearly made a difference, because the woman mentioned Internet "talk" and said that my opposition to the Park's backcountry fees shouldn't make any difference.
I agree, and I'm glad it hasn't (although I did make it clear to her that I would continue to stand in adamant opposition to something I think is terribly wrong.
Again, thanks to all of you who checked and/or expressed concern.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 03-19-2012, 10:09 PM

Removed comments 5/5.

Last edited by JoeFred; 05-05-2012 at 01:00 PM..
Old 05-05-2012, 03:04 AM

Default Deal on Select Backcountry Stream Maps – Limited Time

For a limited time, eleven (11) backcountry streams maps are now available at $4 each with free shipping. We will also have these and other deals at Troutfest. Please stop by and say "Hi".
JF

PS. Sorry for the choice of the original title for this thread. It was necessary to change things up a bit.

Last edited by JoeFred; 05-05-2012 at 10:17 AM..
Old 05-08-2012, 09:33 PM

Your correct Mr. Casada, the Luftee visitor center had a copy of your book, a friend and I stop by there last Friday so he could get a copy. He had been reading mine and wanted a copy for his self. A young park ranger was helping him (I presume he was a park ranger, he had on a uniform) when my friend ask him about a book on Hazel Creek the young ranger replied "Hazel Creek, thats in Cataloochee?" I could not believe what I heard, I would thing that a Park Ranger would know at least the major streams in the Smokey's. Anyway I really like your book!

Flyrod