Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 03-14-2012, 12:32 PM

Default Gearing Up

Hey all,

I've been away for far too long (2yrs), but having twins will do that to you!

I figure I'm back to novice status again, not that I ever progressed that far to begin with, but nonetheless, I'll be heading up to the Smokies again in about 10 days.

I'm beginning to assemble the rods, reels, and all the goodies, but need some advice as to what flies to bring/tie up for the last week of March.

Any/all input is appreciated. Maybe we'll run into some of y'all on the water.

Thanks!
Old 03-15-2012, 09:23 AM

Talking Having 3 year old twins myself - I completely understand

Anything grey has been working well for dries. Parachute Adams, Thunderhead. Many are fishing Quill Gordons. I would tie on a dropper also. Any usual suspects should work - Prince, Hares, etc

Looks like you picked a great time to come. Sping is early. I saw lots of trillium up - several with budding flowers, and ramps are showing a early start.

Good luck with the fishing and kids! I need a daily Smokies dose at least once a week to keep me sane well realtively speaking
Old 03-15-2012, 10:29 AM

Thanks!

Looks like I need to get tying (or using up gift cards online) while they are down for their naps!

Tell me it gets easier by the time they are 3! Ours are only 10 mos, but I can't remember what it was like to not be exhausted all of the time...I wouldn't change it for anything.

Looking forward to getting back to the mountains and starting new/passing along traditions that go back to when I was a kid and we piled in the car and drove down from Indiana 2 times a year! At least now my drive is much shorter!
Old 03-15-2012, 03:28 PM

mine are 18, 20 and 23 and they don't get easier. The problems just get more complicated. Worst job in the world that you will love is being a parent.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:56 PM

Mine are 9,6, and 4, and we are going out for 4 days (or 5, haven't decided yet) of backcountry adventure this weekend. I wouldn't say it gets easier, but it definitely gets better! If the fishing is as good as my daydreams say it will be, I'll have a report to post next week.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:08 PM

I would also already recommend stocking your box with a few yellow stimulators in sizes 10-14 as another possibility in addition to the flies mentioned by DP. I have witnessed fish rising to them for well over a month now...

Tight Lines,