Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 03-23-2012, 08:41 PM

Default Top Secret from up North

Had the pleasure of taking my 64 yr. old mom out to do something I remember her taking me to do as early as 9 yrs. old.

Most down south have no clue about this delicacy. They are very common in East, Tn..

Morel mushrooms,.... they are here and in prime of the season at least thru this next week.

Dipped in egg yolk/milk, wrapped in cracker crumbs and fried in butter and red wine till golden brown.

I share this with those of us that are out and about at this time of year to be on the lookout. Kinda of like: a big kids easter egg hunt!! The reward is "divine" if you are fortunate enough to find a mess of "dry land fish".

Last edited by Breck; 08-20-2012 at 10:05 PM..
Old 03-24-2012, 10:22 AM

my response was deleted.yes we know about dry land fish,but tend to keep it to ourselves because loose lips lead to crowds.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite

So I'm originally from the north, and it did not take me long to figure out that just because folks dont talk about it, or bost about it here; does not mean they do not know about it. You know what they say about assuming...
Old 03-24-2012, 10:08 PM

Mom with her first morel find in forty years somewhere unknown in E. Tn..

Last edited by Breck; 08-20-2012 at 10:02 PM..
Old 03-24-2012, 10:27 PM

Mom and sawyer with a great find!!

Last edited by Breck; 08-20-2012 at 10:08 PM..
Old 03-25-2012, 08:04 AM

I don't think Breck was being condescending. It seems to me he may be speaking from an observational standpoint of a transplant. It may be more popular/widely harvested from where he grew up. I find it nice to read/learn more about the differences of regions, cultures, and science in these type of posts.

I have chatted with Breck and I think he is very stand-up guy! May we each step back for a moment and lend some hospitality to share stories and life's passions!
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Last edited by Paula Begley; 03-25-2012 at 09:28 AM.. Reason: Quote from deleted post removed.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:32 AM
Administrator

Thank you, MadisonBoats. I agree.

Paula
Old 03-25-2012, 02:20 PM

Breck--I guess I have bad or at least mixed news for you. Morels are far better known in this general part of the world than you seem to think. Turkey hunters know all about them; in fact, I gathered roughly a peck this past week while doing a bit of pre-season scouting (the morels are early this year) and will likely gather at least that many more tomorrow. I have a 100-acre piece of property (in upstate S. C.) which produces good crops year after year--more than a bushel last year, and of course you never find anywhere near all of them.
I reckon I'll quibble a bit with your culinary approaches, or maybe more accurately, give you some "food" for thought to expand your gustatory horizons. If you want the ultimate in a mountain boy's meal, try morels sauteed in butter (I prefer to eschew the cracker crumbs and wine), a salad of kilt ramps and branch lettuce, pan-fried trout dressed up in cornbread dinner jackets, and maybe watercress mixed in with the salad if you can find it. Use the bacon which produced the grease to "kill" the ramps and lettuce with a batch of pan-fried potatoes and you are in gourment heaven.
Here's a couple of other thoughts on morels. They go mighty well with buttered noodles (just saute the morels in butter while noodles are boiling; drain noodles, pour morels and butter atop noodles, add a bit of salt and pepper, and dig in.
Morel and wild rice soup, made with half-and-half or, if you don't mind calories, cream, is mighty fine fixin's.
If you are fortunate enough to find a great many, they can be dehydrated quite nicely. Just reconstitute for use with noodles or in soup.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
P. S. I'm sure there are other morel recipes in one of the cookbooks my wife and I wrote, Wild Bounty, but the suggestions above are off the top of my head.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:19 PM

Default Morels

Madison I agree with you and Paula. I must say I am a northern person and there are many times I find the comments made from the locals in your area very rude. If you guys think you have seen mushrooms, go to Montana where I have seen them as large as a baseball hat, many that size.
In earlier post from last year I have seen many people state they will no longer vist this site. You can include me in this category. However I will continue to support Little River since I have visited their facility as far back as their first shop. At that time is was a little building at the other end of town. If I need to gain information on your area I will visit Little river and ask them for advice.
On the last trip to the Smokies my wife and i found so called fly fisher people that crowded in and were very rude. So much for understanding the rules of ettiquette.
Little river, take away my access to this site.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:30 PM
Administrator

Woody55, this board is for all people to share...who are interested in information, fly fishing and friendship. We strive here, just as in our shop, to provide a place where all of you can come together in an environment that reflects those goals.

While we make every attempt to maintain this forum free from angst, anger and discord, that isn't possible to do completely. We entrust you, our customers, friends and board members to remain civil with each other...in the spirit in which we provide this space.

I cannot begin to tell you how it pains me to see someone, anyone, declare they are finished here. This is why we ask you, all of you, to refrain from any comments that if, said to/about you, would be offensive.

Paula

p.s.: Morels are like jewels of the forest...anyone who has eaten one has been enriched. I'll hope more people discover them, and I'll also hope that the divine nature that brings them to us will increase the bounty of them for us all.