Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 03-26-2012, 09:25 AM

Breck,

There's no reason to limit your fungi foraging to morels.

We've also got:

Bearded tooths (or is it teeth)

Oysters

And Chickens

I'd also once found a cauliflower mushroom, but I was deer hunting in Catoosa and was a million miles from nowhere and didn't think it would survive a day in my backpack.

All of the above mushrooms are edible and delicious. The bearded tooth is my favorite. Sliced 1/4" thick, rolled in a corn meal/flour mix, and it tastes just like a real delicate fish.

Woody55, I know in the past, I've made jokes about our neighbors to the north, but it's all in jest. I'm from Lancaster, OH. Bloom-Carroll HS - 1989, Ohio University - 1994 (Bobcats not Buckeyes). You don't get much more Yankee than me. You'd be suprised at how many people on this board that have their location as Maryville or Knoxville are originally from somewhere north of here.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:11 AM

These were the first mushrooms I found this season. I took this picture two weeks ago. Since then, I have been blessed in my fungi outings.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:13 AM

I enjoy reading about these mushrooms. I must admit; I have only heard of them and never tried them. I will have to give them a try.

Now; if you hear of me eating some bad mushroom and getting sick-don't laugh too hard.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 03-26-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
I enjoy reading about these mushrooms. I must admit; I have only heard of them and never tried them. I will have to give them a try.

Now; if you hear of me eating some bad mushroom and getting sick-don't laugh too hard.
We need to get together next weekend after fishing and go fungi hunting. finding them is almost as fun as eating them!
And, why aren't you out in the water, I would kill to be able to wade the clinch today?!
Old 03-26-2012, 06:41 PM

Default Invited!!!!

Mora 521 - I truly had no intentions of making you angry in any way and as a result pondered many hours on if, how and what to say if I did respond. So here goes. Fly fishing is not my forte yet. As I read every post almost every day attempting to fill my need of knowledge so I can have some sort of an intelligent conversation when seeking advice I have as of late felt I was making more withdrawls than deposits. After taking my mom on a great walk down memory lane I felt compelled to share a topic(morels) that I am well versed in... with others that might not know, which there are many. The title: "Top secret from the North" was by design because with this title who doesn't want to know a secret?? I felt the interest would be generated and finally I could offer some advice to people that share an interest of being outdoors at a time when outdoors is coming to life in many ways. My fault in drawing a line of division and region. I apologize sincerely!!!

woody55 - you are a junior member as I am and here on this sight for a reason. The above posts did not drive me to ask for erasement from this forum so I ask you to stay the course as I have chosen regardless of the above posts because you will have the opportunity to meet some special people who are interested in passing this fly fishing hook forward ie; Shawn Madison, Fred Turner, and others that because of their contribution have kept me in the game just a little longer to discover a great sport that I realize can be pretty intimidating with the topics, expertise levels and cultural differences.

Jim, thank you for the recipe. I have always asked turkey hunters about their knowings of the morel, thinking - because of the season, they're in the woods and the looking for turkey sign, should gain me great knowledge from a turkey hunters perspective. Most are not as astute as you and you of your environment. I will be looking for your wifes book.

This is my side of the story and I'm sticking to it!!!
Old 03-26-2012, 07:41 PM

I personally didn't have a clue as to the edibility of morel mushrooms. Thanks Breck, and others for posting. I have seen them before, but didn't give them a second thought. My mother taught me all about branch lettuce, spring onions, cornbread and pan-fried trout!! Somehow we missed out on the ramps and mushrooms!!! I will be searching the woods now. Thanks, again.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:27 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breck View Post
Mora 521 - I truly had no intentions of making you angry in any way and as a result pondered many hours on if, how and what to say if I did respond. So here goes. Fly fishing is not my forte yet. As I read every post almost every day attempting to fill my need of knowledge so I can have some sort of an intelligent conversation when seeking advice I have as of late felt I was making more withdrawls than deposits. After taking my mom on a great walk down memory lane I felt compelled to share a topic(morels) that I am well versed in... with others that might not know, which there are many. The title: "Top secret from the North" was by design because with this title who doesn't want to know a secret?? I felt the interest would be generated and finally I could offer some advice to people that share an interest of being outdoors at a time when outdoors is coming to life in many ways. My fault in drawing a line of division and region. I apologize sincerely!!!

woody55 - you are a junior member as I am and here on this sight for a reason. The above posts did not drive me to ask for erasement from this forum so I ask you to stay the course as I have chosen regardless of the above posts because you will have the opportunity to meet some special people who are interested in passing this fly fishing hook forward ie; Shawn Madison, Fred Turner, and others that because of their contribution have kept me in the game just a little longer to discover a great sport that I realize can be pretty intimidating with the topics, expertise levels and cultural differences.

Jim, thank you for the recipe. I have always asked turkey hunters about their knowings of the morel, thinking - because of the season, they're in the woods and the looking for turkey sign, should gain me great knowledge from a turkey hunters perspective. Most are not as astute as you and you of your environment. I will be looking for your wifes book.

Well played Breck.

Welcome to the forum, and thank you for sharing your morel experience. I remember days when we would fry these up by the pound not knowing how much of a delicacy they were considered. Been a few years since I had any, but I intend to look for some while chasing the big bird this weekend.

Look forward to your contributions to this forum in the future.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 03-27-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutmanbrook View Post
We need to get together next weekend after fishing and go fungi hunting. finding them is almost as fun as eating them!
And, why aren't you out in the water, I would kill to be able to wade the clinch today?!
Danny, I would love to try these things out. I know I would poison myself it I did not have any guidance. Who said I have not been fishing/filming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breck View Post

Breck, I concur with ChemEAngler and say well said! Life is fully of choices; note one of my favorite quotes in my signature. Thanks for posting this topic. You have educated me about them and stirred my interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonder View Post
I personally didn't have a clue as to the edibility of morel mushrooms. Thanks Breck, and others for posting. I have seen them before, but didn't give them a second thought. My mother taught me all about branch lettuce, spring onions, cornbread and pan-fried trout!! Somehow we missed out on the ramps and mushrooms!!! I will be searching the woods now. Thanks, again.
Yum, that sounds delicious!
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 04-03-2012, 02:52 PM

Not to offend any...I enjoyed reading about the morel mushrooms. I will admit also that I had not heard of them before nor tried them. As a novice when it comes to smokies fauna.....are there any bad mushrooms that look similar to the morel? It is something that I would like to try, but I am not too good at identifying different types of mushrooms.

John
Old 04-03-2012, 04:26 PM

Don't eat mushrooms except in a restaurant. With my luck, I would get a hallucinogen or poisonous species.
buzz, I attended OU from '65-'67. When they were talking about the bouncy ball playoffs, OU was described as the #1 party school in the country. At least we are #1 in something!