Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 03-24-2012, 08:49 PM

Default spring break report 3/21 -3/24

Out of the last few years of March fishing this is officially the worst year I've had!

I don't know what's up. the waters I've been fishing have been higher than I'm used to. The temps warmer also. I've also seen no exciting hatches.

Day 1 - My 8 year old out fished me! we took home one 8" from Tremont
Day 2- Solo trip back to Tremont, only afforded me one nice fish. 9" bow
Day 3 - Took my son up to Greenbriar, high water up there also. I caught one really nice 'bow. We dug out a little puddle in a gravel bar to keep it fresh. Well, you might've guessed it....it got away. My son didn't like GB too much.
Day 4 - had a few hours this afternoon, so back up to Tremont. (note to self; avoid Saturdays on a pretty day!) geez! people driving up and down Tremont road constantly. I only landed 2 fish. A whopping 3" and 6" rainbow.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:01 AM

Default Thanks

I can't offer any help but my advice is to please keep sending your well written reports. Thanks, ROB
Old 03-25-2012, 12:40 AM

Hmm...I don't know nearly as much as many on here but, in my opinion, if you want bigger fish you have to at least take a knee when you cast. I've seen it on several occasions and have tested it myslef: If you stand you tend to catch the average fish. If you kneel the length goes up by a lot. My average fish when kneeling is around 11". It's around 8" when standing. Older, bigger fish tend to watch for an angler because they have been educated. As far as getting numbers up, it would be difficult to say without actually knowing what you fished and being there myself to experiment with flies. That's my two cents...ain't worth much.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:57 AM

Maybe Randy (guide from SH) can post and give you some tips...(?) One tip I could offer is to do a search on each of the places you fished in this forum and review some of the posts. I would expect there to be some great information hidden back in the archives.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 03-25-2012, 08:18 AM

Smile My advice

While I'm no expert by any means, I believe you had 2 major things against you. You were roadside, and with high water. When the water is up, you will have much better luck hitting some of the smaller tributaries. I would be happy to give you specific examples of good alternatives to the places you mentioned you were, but don't want to get blasted by the "stream naming" committee. Drop me an e-mail if you want specifics

Maybe you would have had better luck bringing kayaks this year wirth all the water
Old 03-25-2012, 09:01 AM

I agree that high water is the toughest condition for me to catch much. Last time I was down when the water was this high, the only way I could catch anything was to put on a couple of weighted nymphs and some split shot and dunk them behind rocks in the current eddies, also like duckypaddler said, good time to try some smaller flatter streams.
Tad
Old 03-25-2012, 11:37 AM

thanks for the replies ya'll.

Ducky I don't have your email but would love to hear your ideas/suggestions. here's mine; jeremy.ross at hotmaildotcom

yeah the high water was a little worrysome when my boy was with me. I think the best fish I caught were sub surface fishing. Dry fly fishing was almost out of the questioin.
One strange issue I run into is that my last experience fishing the smokies was in August. Hot and low water. So after a long winter absence I now fish cooler and higher water. I guess it'll just take some time to get back into the swing of things....though, my little boy (4) really wants to eat some "shish". Normally I can catch enough to give us a few fish dinners. Not yet this year.