Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 03-28-2012, 07:38 PM

Default Solo Backpacking and Fly Fishing GSMNP

I returned home today from a solo backpacking trip to GSMNP. The water was a tad high making wading and fishing a little difficult. Some sections of the stream were not wadable or fishable. I still managed a few fish, saw deer, grouse, and got to prove my manhood by sleeping out in the woods all alone.

When I arrived at the campsite, I found the "present" the previous campers left for me. Gee, why is it we sometimes have bear problems in the GSMNP? I cleaned up the mess they left and the campsite was clean when I left.

After building my house, I went down to the stream to get some water. After filtering the water, I came back to fetch my fly rod.

After catching those three rainbows, I headed on downstream to look for what I came for, some big browns. I found this fishable run. After flogging several hundred yards, all I had to show for it was one dace and one strike.

Beautiful day.

I hiked back up to camp and fished a few pools along the way, a few strikes was all I managed. I got back to camp, took a break, and enjoyed a fine hot dinner.

I built a fire and set out my bear deterrent, smelly socks and booties.

I sat around around the campfire until dark. I just sat there collecting my thoughts, watching the squirrels, and looking for bears. Shortly after dark, I went to bed. I laid there a few minutes wondering if a bear would ambush me in the middle of the night. I was soon fast asleep. I woke at day light, enjoyed a cup of coffee, packed up camp and hiked back to the trail head.

It was a good trip. Unfortunately, I was not quick enough with the camera to get any wildlife pictures. I wish I had caught more fish, but I still had fun.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:10 PM

Awesome! I would love to be out backpacking right now.

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com
Old 03-29-2012, 08:58 AM

Mike, that looks like a great trip. I enjoy a solo overnight every now and again, although my wife seems to think the boogey man is going to get me every time.

I've been meaning to email you about a trip over in your neck of the woods.
btw...that particular site is notoriously messy. Grouseman, Spotlight, and I hauled a LOT of trash out of there about a year ago.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannyknot View Post
Mike, that looks like a great trip. I enjoy a solo overnight every now and again, although my wife seems to think the boogey man is going to get me every time.

I've been meaning to email you about a trip over in your neck of the woods.
btw...that particular site is notoriously messy. Grouseman, Spotlight, and I hauled a LOT of trash out of there about a year ago.
When I win the Mega Millions, and buy the park, I'm going to rename that area "trash hollow". There is not a more junked up area of the park...very sad. How many gallon jugs did we carry out...10? The stream is right there.

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com
Old 03-29-2012, 10:39 AM

Great report! Really annoying about the people who pack so much junk in and don't have the decency to take it back out. Wish everyone who visited the Park could just treat it well...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 03-29-2012, 09:48 PM

Hey Grouseman, I see you're from Heiskell. I live in Halls, grew up in Powell and have a good friend who lives on Gamble Rd. Also, I see where you like to backpack. I used to bp a lot and would like to talk, email, or.........to see where all you've trekked etc... sometime.

memcconk@gmail.com
Old 04-01-2012, 05:45 PM

It doesn't get any better than that...well, unless you catch a hog while doin' it