Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-29-2012, 02:57 PM
waterwolf waterwolf is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,211
Default TWRA wrong about...

Here is proof of what we discussed last year regarding natural reproduction in the Clinch. I caught this little guy this morning on the Clinch, and saw plenty of others this size or smaller around the logs on the bank. This one hopefully moves back towards the bank, because if he hangs out where he was he won't last long.

TWRA has claimed forever that there was no natural reproduction in the Clinch, and there have been plenty here who advocated on their behalf. Hopefully this will provide solid evidence that shows they are clueless or deceitful in their statements. My guess is they are more clueless then actually being deceitful, especially after some of the magnificient statements they have made over the years.

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-29-2012, 08:25 PM
Rodonthefly Rodonthefly is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 393
Default

I don't know where you fished today, honestly I thought as long as it was some kind of killin' season, you was a killing. I took half a day off and fished from the church up to the bend. I picked up a few decent fish, but was finding a lot of little guys my self. I also seen them tucked in close to cover. I have never doubted the fact that we have spawning on the Clinch. Anyone in their right mind can go up above the weir starting in October and see fish paired up and reds around the island. But who's to say anyone that's associated with a government agency knows their *** from their head?
__________________
www.clinchriverflyfishing.com
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-29-2012, 10:32 PM
David Knapp's Avatar
David Knapp David Knapp is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Crossville, TN
Posts: 2,211
Default

That's clearly a wild trout from the Smokies since trout don't reproduce in that particular tailwater...hahaha, just kidding. Just goes to make you wonder how they come up with the "science" to support their ideas... Thanks for sharing that picture!
__________________
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
contact: TroutZoneAnglers at gmail dot com
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-29-2012, 10:38 PM
waterwolf waterwolf is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,211
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodonthefly View Post
I don't know where you fished today, honestly I thought as long as it was some kind of killin' season, you was a killing. I took half a day off and fished from the church up to the bend. I picked up a few decent fish, but was finding a lot of little guys my self. I also seen them tucked in close to cover. I have never doubted the fact that we have spawning on the Clinch. Anyone in their right mind can go up above the weir starting in October and see fish paired up and reds around the island. But who's to say anyone that's ***ociated with a government agency knows their *** from their head?
I was at Coldwater this morning until around noon. I personally felt fishing was sluggish for this time of year, and the numbers of decent fish were few and far between compared to what I have done this time of year. I caught enough to keep me interested, but was not overly impressed by the river today. It is only a small snippet seeing how I was out for 3 hours, but enough to get me by until mid may when turkey season closes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Knapp View Post
That's clearly a wild trout from the Smokies since trout don't reproduce in that particular tailwater...hahaha, just kidding. Just goes to make you wonder how they come up with the "science" to support their ideas... Thanks for sharing that picture!
Their science comes from theories discussed in their offices in Nashville, they have never once acknowledged what most of us long time Clinch folks know to be facts.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-29-2012, 11:13 PM
Grumpy Grumpy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 797
Default

I've been arguing this for years, but, they have biology degrees & spend 2 or 3 days a year on the river, it's all i could do to finish high school(37 years ago) because i liked being on the river more.
Now, who would you believe?

Grumpy
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-30-2012, 08:40 AM
Rodonthefly Rodonthefly is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 393
Default

"I was at Coldwater this morning until around noon. I personally felt fishing was sluggish for this time of year, and the numbers of decent fish were few and far between compared to what I have done this time of year. I caught enough to keep me interested, but was not overly impressed by the river today. It is only a small snippet seeing how I was out for 3 hours, but enough to get me by until mid may when turkey season closes."


You know, I'm not one to ever play the weather card, but Saturday and Sunday both I had good days on the water. All slot fish with maybe just a couple under (10-12 inche fish). I talked to a couple of friends that fished around Jim Jones place on Monday and they reported the same. Maybe yeasterday was just the day all the small guys were out and about. I friend came behind me yesterday and turned some decent fish down by the Church. Prehaps the front thats comming in had something to do with it? Anyhow, I don't think the Clinch is in to bad of shape, bu activity seems healthy and so do most of the fish.
__________________
www.clinchriverflyfishing.com
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-30-2012, 09:16 AM
troutmanbrook's Avatar
troutmanbrook troutmanbrook is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Clinch River
Posts: 39
Default

I was able to take off work a little early yesterday. I wanted to go to the church, but decided not to wade. I pulled into miller's parking lot about 4:30, and there was a stock truck pulling out. I looked in the water, and in the boat ramp pool I saw about 300 trout. I should be ashamed about harassing these guys, but some were of significant size! I was using a dry dropper and caught 2 fish at once twice within thirty minutes. I would say within an hour I caught at least 30-50 of these guys
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-30-2012, 12:21 PM
No Hackle's Avatar
No Hackle No Hackle is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 544
Default

I've also caught some of the smaller rainbows. I got to thinking I wonder why I never catch browns that size. I wonder if its different for them spawning in the fall and the conditions they deal with through winter. I just can't remember catching browns that size.
Lynn
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-30-2012, 02:56 PM
Bfish Bfish is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: SE TN
Posts: 134
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
...TWRA has claimed forever that there was no natural reproduction in the Clinch, and there have been plenty here who advocated on their behalf.
I have only heard them claim that any natural reproduction (if there is any), does not significantly contribute to the fishery. In other words, most years naturally spawned fish don't stand a chance, and in optimum years the numbers are only a very small percentage of the population (ie insignificant).

Quote:
Hopefully this will provide solid evidence that shows...
If the pictured fish was born in 2011, it sure showed incredible growth, White River like size on that 1-year-old. I have seen many fish that size and smaller stocked (particularly from Dale Hollow National Fish Hatchery). Especially early in the year (such as the recent stockings). Sorry but I see nothing that indicates that the pictured fish was naturally born.

Last edited by Paula Begley; 04-01-2012 at 07:08 AM.. Reason: To remove goading language...
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-30-2012, 09:24 PM
waterwolf waterwolf is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,211
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Hackle View Post
I've also caught some of the smaller rainbows. I got to thinking I wonder why I never catch browns that size. I wonder if its different for them spawning in the fall and the conditions they deal with through winter. I just can't remember catching browns that size.
Lynn
I have never seen any evidence of brown trout spawning in the river. No fingerlings/young of the year or anything else. I have also never seen browns occupying redds like I have rainbows. That doesn't mean they don't try, but the population of browns is fairly low considering the numbers of rainbows in the system and that may be the biggest factor holding them back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfish View Post
I have only heard them claim that any natural reproduction (if there is any), does not significantly contribute to the fishery. In other words, most years naturally spawned fish don't stand a chance, and in optimum years the numbers are only a very small percentage of the population (ie insignificant).

If the pictured fish was born in 2011, it sure showed incredible growth, White River like size on that 1-year-old. I have seen many fish that size and smaller stocked (particularly from Dale Hollow National Fish Hatchery). Especially early in the year (such as the recent stockings). Sorry but I see nothing that indicates that the pictured fish was naturally born.
Of course they claim that, because if they said otherwise they would be forced to manage the river completely different. Keep in mind this is the same outfit that tried to convince everyone pressure had no impact on the fishery, only to do an about face several years later and admit pressure had a huge impact. Hence the new slot limits which are working, and which TWRA biologists claimed wouldn't be effective. Now they say they are working, go figure.

The Clinch has remarkable growth rates, according to every single growth study every done on the river our fish grow about 2" per month, making this fish the exact size of a fish which hatched last spring or summer, given the slower growth rates which will always be present during the first few months.

Fingerling stockings in the Clinch are done usually late May or early June, they are done this late to prevent possible loss due to abnormally high flows from heavy spring rains and spillage from the dams. This is common sense, and common knowledge.

According to TWRA who I contacted yesterday the only fish stocked this year so far have been "catchable" sized fish, those average roughly 9" and anyone who has caught them knows the obvious difference between those and the picture above.

Naturally you don't see anything that makes you think that fish was river born, they don't wear name tags which state such, and they certainly don't sport clipped fins like many hatchery released fingerlings do in the Clinch.

You also must not fish the Clinch too much or not be very observant when on the river. Fish have spawned for decades up the tributaries, and the redds from this year can still be seen all over the river. Those 2" fry which can be found by the thousands each fall certainly would disprove your uneducated opinion as well.

Want to talk about comical.... there are actually people out there that still believe TWRA is being truthful, and honestly manage our trout fisheries the best they can. Keep in mind these are the same biologists who had difficulty accurately identifying a brown trout, and labeled it a Ranbow trout in a slide.

So yes, I disagree with you, and sadly the only thing comical is the fact that there are folks that think TWRA is doing a swell job.

I do hate TWRA, and anyone who has hunted/fished in this state for more then a year or two would more than likely agree there management on most fronts is horrific.

Last edited by Paula Begley; 04-01-2012 at 07:28 AM.. Reason: Removed language from edited quote...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:39 AM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.