Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 04-10-2012, 01:29 PM

Default Bronze

I had been wanting to hit up a certain creek for a while now. After reading several smallmouth reports earlier today, I couldn't wait any longer. I also needed to break in the BVK properly. So as soon as I could scoot out the door from work, I bolted. It was A LOT lower than the last time I was there. Jumped in the water and after weeding through several red breasted sunfish, I had my target. It was small, but it was brown.

Made several casts and had another bite.

The fish were incredibly active. For every smallmouth I caught 4 or 5 sunfish. Moved upstream a little and stuck an interesting fish.

I changed flies a lot and often. Mainly because I would lose one, or I just got impatient, but I also wanted to experiment a little. I used crayfish, clousers, one bugs, zonkers, and white wooly buggers. Caught a fish on all of them.

As the day was winding down, I knew I needed to start making my way back while I had some daylight. As I neared some shallow riffles, there was a massive caddis hatch going on. This is only a small section, bugs were literally everywhere.

Guess what the only fly I didn't have with me was? Of course, I don't normally carry caddis flies on bass creeks. I made a few more casts anyway and my wooly bugger disappeared from sight and I set the hook. I was treated to brief circus acrobatics and finally landed this beauty. The first one I've ever caught that had this nice of a pattern.

After several snapshots, I sent him back on his way.

When I got back to my car, it was covered in caddis flies. They were swarming above it and dozens were resting on it.

Also found one of these guys, and noticed several others.

I didn't catch any monsters, but I did see a couple. Apparently I have a long way to go when it comes to being stealthy. All in all it was a good outing, but I am still chasing that 3lber or better........
Old 04-11-2012, 11:08 AM

Great post! I enjoy reading about others trips for the warm water species because its my favorite type of fishing also. I just bought a TFO BVK also. The 9ft 6wt with the full wells grip and fighting butt. LOVE it! I'm even thinking about selling off some rods to get the 8ft 3wt BVK just for bream.
I've been fishing some of those caddis hatches here also. The rockbass and little smallies rise like trout to those hatches here in the evenings. grey stimis have been working and also some tan or grey neversinks
Old 04-11-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutman View Post
Great post! I enjoy reading about others trips for the warm water species because its my favorite type of fishing also. I just bought a TFO BVK also. The 9ft 6wt with the full wells grip and fighting butt. LOVE it! I'm even thinking about selling off some rods to get the 8ft 3wt BVK just for bream.
I've been fishing some of those caddis hatches here also. The rockbass and little smallies rise like trout to those hatches here in the evenings. grey stimis have been working and also some tan or grey neversinks
I am enjoying the BVK so far. I want to take it to a lake this weekend and see how far I can throw it.

Thanks for the caddis tips, I will have some in my box the next time!
Old 04-11-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutman View Post
Great post! I enjoy reading about others trips for the warm water species ........
I also enjoy reading about the warmwater species. Glad to see some reports showing up.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL trout bum View Post
I also needed to break in the BVK properly.
Just curious... what BVK did you pic up?

Tight Lines,
Old 04-11-2012, 03:24 PM

Awesome pictures. I've always said people don't take advantage of the spring hatches for smallmouth. Same techniques apply as trout. Great way for beginners and more experienced to catch SM. I love this time of year. I've caught many SM over 2lbs choked with caddis pupa. I use a size 10 elk hair in grey or tan. A little big but the fish don't seem to mind.Plus in the afternoon with the failing light it's easier to see. Good report.
Lynn
Old 04-11-2012, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnflyfisher View Post
Just curious... what BVK did you pic up?

Tight Lines,
It's the 9' 5wt
Old 04-12-2012, 08:28 AM

great report!!! I fish for smallmouth in the new river, here in N.C. I also use a BVK, but in an 8 foot, 3 weight and I like to throw those cork, top water poppers. Talk about fun. These fish can really fight.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:14 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL trout bum View Post
I had been wanting to hit up a certain creek for a while now...........
Great Pictures and Excellent Report! I felt like I was there fishing with you!
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 04-12-2012, 10:18 AM

Nice fish. Must be a very healthy stream to support so much insect life.