Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 04-17-2012, 02:54 PM

Smile Wizard's first Brookie!

I had the oppouttunity to fish with Wizard and TNFlyFisher on Sunday. We met at LRO and got Layton some Brookie flies, and headed to the trailhead. As we were Layton and I were waiting on Kevin to finish getting his gear together, I see another flysiherman gearing up. Since we were obviously going to the same place I wanted to chat so we could make sure we each had fresh water. When he sees us he starts racing for the creek to be ahead of us I basic have to run after him trying to find out where he intends to go, which he smugly replies I'm going WAY up. I said really that's what we were planning to do, and tried to figure out what WAY up meant to him so I preceeded to name some feeder streams and asked him if he was going as high as some of them. He said he didn't know where they were and raced off. What a class act

We walked inuntil it was apparent Layton needed to change into his fishing boots. We tossed into a couple of pools as he changed, but came up empty. Two hundred yards later we spot another fisherman, which is now making me feel much more optimistic for the day. I yell to him that we'll give him at least 2/3 mile of fresh water before we drop in. We continue to hike past some fine water that is tempting, but we know we must push on. About a mile past the first guy we see "not so nice guy" on the water. I shout hey to him, and tell him we'll give him at least a 1/2 mile of fresh water (although it was tempting not to listen to my darker side). We hiked another half mile and droped in. In just a minute Layton had his first Brookie, and a pretty good one at that!

And a shot with the proud Papa

I told everyone just to leapfrog someone as you caught up to them and then give them another 100 yards of fresh water before you jump back in. Kevin was in back at this point and I'm not sure if he was just content picking up out leftovers, or a few smart monster Brookie just teased him for hours, because Layton and I didn't see him for many hours until we were hiking back out. I gave Layton a few pointers, but he had a pretty good grasp and just started fishing. As I caught up to his leftover water I woudn't get and strikes in the big runs, but was still having great luck picking up a bunch in the pockets. When I caught back up to him I showed him the spots he was missing so that he could pick up some more fish (although he was having great success on his own). I again left him to fish and when I next caught up to him he was at a great pool which he pulled out a ton of fish.

Did I mention the 8.5 incher that came out

The fishing was also very kind to me and landed me some beauties

The last one I foul hooked and probably should have just taken him home for dinner

Nice scenery nice company nice day

Wizards most important lesson from the day - Frog's Fanny

Kevin tried to go back for one of those monster's on the way out. Once again we realize why they are monsters

Great day minus my sunglasses and a camera
Old 04-17-2012, 04:08 PM

Nice trip report.
That stream is going to get some much needed rest & relaxation once Lynn Camp opens.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:20 PM

Nice report and great pics. Did any of the fishermen you passed catch up to you during your trip? Being relatively new to fly fishing and not having much experience in wild trout streams, I was wondering what the proper etiquette is when someone is on the stream when you get there. Usually on the delayed harvest streams we fish here in NC, people have no hesitation about jumping in 50 - 100 yards in front of you. Some guys just jump in the next pool, which really steams me. I noticed you told the other fishermen that you would move up 1/2 to 3/4 mile ahead of them. What was the reaction when you told them that? Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:33 PM

Excellent report!

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
I see another flysiherman gearing up. Since we were obviously going to the same place I wanted to chat so we could make sure we each had fresh water. When he sees us he starts racing for the creek to be ahead of us I basic have to run after him trying to find out where he intends to go, which he smugly replies I'm going WAY up. I said really that's what we were planning to do, and tried to figure out what WAY up meant to him so I preceeded to name some feeder streams and asked him if he was going as high as some of them. He said he didn't know where they were and raced off. What a class act
I have had a couple of run-ins like this in the past year, one this past Friday. Common courtesy is lost on so many people these days. Glad you made the most of the opportunity.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 04-18-2012, 03:26 PM

That fish was typhoon class!! I managed to raise him twice and he actually hit two different dries but I missed him both times... After that, I tried for a while switching flies/rigs and all I got was rejection every time. Easily about as big as they come I would imagine and looked to be pushing double digits.

What a great afternoon to be on the water. Like DP said, "nice scenery, nice company, nice day" and I concur...

Tight Lines,

You can never have enough pics of beautiful brookies...
Old 04-18-2012, 03:59 PM

Nice pictures and great story. I noticed there is no name to where you fished.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:45 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookedontrout View Post
Nice report and great pics. Did any of the fishermen you passed catch up to you during your trip? Being relatively new to fly fishing and not having much experience in wild trout streams, I was wondering what the proper etiquette is when someone is on the stream when you get there. Usually on the delayed harvest streams we fish here in NC, people have no hesitation about jumping in 50 - 100 yards in front of you. Some guys just jump in the next pool, which really steams me. I noticed you told the other fishermen that you would move up 1/2 to 3/4 mile ahead of them. What was the reaction when you told them that? Thanks for sharing.
No one else caught up with us, and I don't typically run into people that often. As for how much water to leave them I guess that would vary, and would depend on the circumstances. The bottom fisherman I saw (nice guy) ended up working much more of the stream than I expected him to. I saw him fishing on the way out, and it looked like he was fishing until dusk. He started at the bottom, and was over 1.75 miles up from where I first saw him. By the time he got to our old water the fish had rested for several hours, and he was still picking up fish. The second guy I only gave a half mile because if I would have given him any more our group would have run out of stream. Usually I would have talked to each person to see what they wanted, but the first guy was on the water while we were on the trail, and gave me a pos wave when I shouted the 2/3 mile to him. The second guy I really didn't care about at this point so I didn't even try to talk to him again, but still felt like I was taking the higher ground. I don't even know if I looked for his response.

On most streams there is way more water than fisherman.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
The second guy I really didn't care about at this point so I didn't even try to talk to him again, but still felt like I was taking the higher ground. I don't even know if I looked for his response.
What I saw looked more like a state of shock that he actually ran into other fisherman WAY up on the stream...

Tight Lines,
Old 04-23-2012, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnflyfisher View Post
What I saw looked more like a state of shock that he actually ran into other fisherman WAY up on the stream...

Tight Lines,
What is really funny is that I had thought of fishing that stream as well, and might have met the other two of you but found the parking lot packed! Kevin explained it was a photography club? Only two other anglers up there..

Congrats to you Wizard.. I am determined to also bust my brookie cherry this year!
Old 04-23-2012, 11:31 AM

Excellent report and pictures. Thanks for taking the time to share. As i know, Duckypaddler makes for great company and fishing guide.

That is one magical place