Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 04-17-2012, 10:08 PM

Default Textured Fly Lines

After the last few trips I have realized that my 4-wt and 5-wt lines are at the end of their life. That life has lasted approximately 3yrs (after regular cleanings and treatments), so I think I got my moneys worth out of them. My 4-wt is a Rio Gold and my 5-wt is an Orvis Wonderline.

My dilemma is that I am intrigued by the textured lines. I wasn't much of a fan of Sharkskin as I thought it just felt a bit too textured. However, the new SA Mastery Textured and the Orvis Hydros 3D seem to be more up my alley.

My question is has anybody out there tried these two newer lines, and can you offer a comparison to traditional fly line or Sharkskin?

Thanks!

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 04-17-2012, 11:00 PM

SA lines are all I fish... I have fished a mastery and GPX line hard for three to four years now with virtually no upkeep. I just recently replaced one with the new SA troutstalker. I never used sharkskin but this line feels just like a normal fly line other than making a little noise going through the guides. It seems to cast fine to me and I would assume can get you a little extra distance when fishing bigger water due to reduced friction. I like that it has a longer head with compound tapers. It feels great in close but also easy to accurately lay out some line as well. So far I have only fished dries but presentation is about what you would expect for a trout line. Not sure if I needed to really spend the extra $ though... for trout I love using just the normal mastery series. If you haven't fished one yet, I would say try a normal SA mastery trout line first to see what you think.

Tight Lines,
Old 04-18-2012, 03:54 PM

Travis, you only got three years use from a fly line? My newest line is over 5 years old and still good. You must do a lot of fishing! My oldest line is about 50 years old and I still fish it on my South Bend fiberglass rod for ole time's sake. I buy whatever is on sale or the cheapest.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:53 PM

I didn't like sharkskin and don,t like texture regular gpx on fast rods and trout for true line weight rods or medium action
Old 04-19-2012, 09:17 AM

I love SA lines and equipment. But the Sharkskin line is abrasive, and will make your finger tips on your stripping hand raw and bleeding. And then they tell you to wear a stripping glove. Say What? Come on guys.

I'll stay with the textured and the gpx lines, thank you very much.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:13 PM

Sometimes you can wear out a line by working it to hard. By this I mean the caster doesnt let the line and rod work together and we use to much force that the line wont tolerate. You can usually see cracks starting on one side of the line. This happens to me. Although I've gotten better about this it still happens.
Lynn
Old 04-19-2012, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Hackle View Post
Sometimes you can wear out a line by working it to hard. By this I mean the caster doesnt let the line and rod work together and we use to much force that the line wont tolerate. You can usually see cracks starting on one side of the line. This happens to me. Although I've gotten better about this it still happens.
Lynn
Lynn,
That could explain the reason for my wear, especially on the 5-wt. I find myself pushing it harder every time out to try and reach more distant targets on the Clinch.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler