Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-10-2012, 08:47 AM
MadisonBoats's Avatar
MadisonBoats MadisonBoats is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norris, TN
Posts: 1,906
Exclamation Rainbow Trout-Spawning (Info.) 4/10/12

Rainbow Trout-Spawning (Info.) 4/10/12
I just wanted to remind those that are interested that rainbow trout are spawning on the Clinch and many other tailwaters right now. Be careful of walking on/over the redds. Also; be mindful of releasing the females that are full of eggs. I was filming yesterday and a guy walked right over a redd. He asked if I noticed those fish fighting.

I don't think this is a huge issue in respect to the whole scope of survival for the fish. However; I just wanted to remind others....

I have some underwater video and some other video to post later...

Here is a reference image from http://www.conservationinc.net/our-work to help illustrate a redd.

__________________
“Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
power
to choose, to respond, to change.”


Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-10-2012, 04:12 PM
Knothead Knothead is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SE Tennessee
Posts: 644
Default

Quote:
a guy walked right over a redd. He asked if I noticed those fish fighting.
Sounds like his shoe size is bigger than his IQ.
__________________
John Torchick
http://www.hiwasseecustomrods.com
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-10-2012, 09:14 PM
waterwolf waterwolf is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,204
Default

Awesome picture, and where is Bfish when you need him to tell us this isn't possible.

Or for that matter, TWRA and their infinite wisdom of coldwater fisheries.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-11-2012, 08:16 AM
MadisonBoats's Avatar
MadisonBoats MadisonBoats is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norris, TN
Posts: 1,906
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
Awesome picture, and where is Bfish when you need him to tell us this isn't possible.

Or for that matter, TWRA and their infinite wisdom of coldwater fisheries.
Jim,
My understanding of the TWRA's stance is that the trout do spawn and reproduce on the Clinch. However; the depletion rate is more than the reproduction rate due to various factors. If it were not stocked; it would be a finicky river to fish.

Here is a video I shot Monday. It illustrates the three zones of the water column if you watch closely. Also; you will notice many of the females swollen with eggs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zpWKno4RPM&feature=plcp&context=C4a869feV DvjVQa1PpcFOkgXF_k-FAeHqlCVGh3Le5Nhn5GRc5RAM%3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knothead View Post
Sounds like his shoe size is bigger than his IQ.
I don't think he was aware of it at the moment.
__________________
“Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
power
to choose, to respond, to change.”



Last edited by MadisonBoats; 04-11-2012 at 08:24 AM.. Reason: Added Video
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-11-2012, 10:19 AM
Wilson10's Avatar
Wilson10 Wilson10 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Clinton, TN
Posts: 292
Default

Cool video shawn, thx
__________________
Adam
awilson1010@gmail.com

My Blog: Fly Fish East Tennessee
www.flyfisheasttennessee.blogspot.com

><>
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-11-2012, 10:23 AM
Wade Blevins's Avatar
Wade Blevins Wade Blevins is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Decatur AL
Posts: 47
Default

Amazing footage. Those are some nice fish too!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-11-2012, 10:40 AM
Rodonthefly Rodonthefly is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 392
Default

pretty cool man, did you catch any?
__________________
www.clinchriverflyfishing.com
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-11-2012, 10:58 AM
MadisonBoats's Avatar
MadisonBoats MadisonBoats is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norris, TN
Posts: 1,906
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodonthefly View Post
pretty cool man, did you catch any?
Yeah, I landed a few of the meatier ones. However; they were being finicky on this day and I had to actually use some split shot to hit the bottom layer. It was a challenge as I was not prepared to do that and my rig kept coming up with tons of vegetation. The smaller fish were actively taking midges (emergers) just below the surface. The larger fish were holding on the bottom layer and taking larger nymphs with a selective take...

To clarify; most of the larger fish in this video are in the 12-15" range. Notice the abnormal dimpling in the females' bellies.

Note: If you have a fast connection; be sure and change the video setting to 480p and use a larger window to get the best views.
__________________
“Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
power
to choose, to respond, to change.”



Last edited by MadisonBoats; 04-11-2012 at 11:23 AM.. Reason: Video Comment
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-11-2012, 12:00 PM
Rodonthefly Rodonthefly is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 392
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
Yeah, I landed a few of the meatier ones. However; they were being finicky on this day and I had to actually use some split shot to hit the bottom layer. It was a challenge as I was not prepared to do that and my rig kept coming up with tons of vegetation. The smaller fish were actively taking midges (emergers) just below the surface. The larger fish were holding on the bottom layer and taking larger nymphs with a selective take...

To clarify; most of the larger fish in this video are in the 12-15" range. Notice the abnormal dimpling in the females' bellies.

Note: If you have a fast connection; be sure and change the video setting to 480p and use a larger window to get the best views.
Try using tungsten beads if you don't already, also florocarbon is well worth the extra money as well.
__________________
www.clinchriverflyfishing.com
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-11-2012, 04:52 PM
psnapp psnapp is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Powell, TN
Posts: 219
Thumbs up

Outstanding video. Thanks, Shawn!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:33 PM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.