Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 04-23-2012, 06:59 PM

Default Sam's Creek

I fished Sam's today...didn't do too well. Only went up to where the trail crosses the creek and started fishing down the creek back toward the metal footbridge. Tried dries for a bit with no luck and finally switched to a nymph and got one on. Left after that as it was getting late in the day and I was tired. Not certain if I should have gone further up the trail as I'm not familiar with Sam's. It was kind of nice to be somewhere were no tourists were. Lots of people along the road with cameras and tripods today. There are a lot of logs across the trail to Sam's and one or two across the metal footbridge. I guess the park service isn't maintaining the trail anymore.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:52 PM

I fished from the trailhead to the institute. Didn't catch a thing. I'm heading up to SAMs tomorrow.

"My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my fly-fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."
Old 04-23-2012, 11:54 PM

It could be just me but it almost sounds like you were fishing where the trail crosses Thunderhead Prong instead of the first crossing up on Sams Creek? In either case, yeah you need to go further up...

Waiting to see some pics of those big'uns from MPLR...

Tight Lines,
Old 04-24-2012, 12:17 AM

Yeah, I may not have gone far enough. Don't really know where I'm going. I've been trying to hit larger and deeper runs when I fish lower but so far no results other than a large bow below Elkmont. It wasn't more than 15" though. I wish I lived up here and had more time to fish. Oh well, it's been fun so far.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:39 AM

You had a ways to go before getting to Sam's Creek. Email me if you want to try to make it up there and I'll talk you to it.

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com
Old 04-24-2012, 07:46 AM

There's a cartographer who makes a fine map that shows the path..

Said cartographer was going to get me a list of the maps I am missing..
Old 04-24-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouseMan77 View Post
You had a ways to go before getting to Sam's Creek. Email me if you want to try to make it up there and I'll talk you to it.
Jason, sorry I missed this. You must have posted after I gave up the puter to my sister. I went to the west prong and laurel creek today. Didn't do so well. Got 4 on and two to hand. Going to head back to the East Prong tomorrow. Hitting one honey hole down low and then walking up. You're welcome to go with. My cell is six one five-9-71 8414 (sorry to be cryptic but they have software that scans for phone numbers for marketers). I'll be in Maryville tonight and out of phone range in the morning. -Dwayne
Old 04-24-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattblick View Post
There's a cartographer who makes a fine map that shows the path..

Said cartographer was going to get me a list of the maps I am missing..
Yeah, I need to get some. I made it half way to Sams
Old 04-24-2012, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaiderFan View Post
Jason, sorry I missed this. You must have posted after I gave up the puter to my sister. I went to the west prong and laurel creek today. Didn't do so well. Got 4 on and two to hand. Going to head back to the East Prong tomorrow. Hitting one honey hole down low and then walking up. You're welcome to go with. My cell is six one five-9-71 8414 (sorry to be cryptic but they have software that scans for phone numbers for marketers). I'll be in Maryville tonight and out of phone range in the morning. -Dwayne
Thanks for the offer but I have a full plate tomorrow. If you do decide to take another crack at Sams shoot me an email. Good luck!

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com
Old 04-24-2012, 10:11 PM

Thanks Jason. Will do. I don't think I'll make it back this trip but if I do, I'll shoot you and email.