Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 04-27-2012, 09:59 AM

Default Big South Fork

I've got a free afternoon on Sunday and want to get the dog out some. Want to take him fishing or hiking with me. The GSMNP doesn't allow dogs off leash. So it will either be the Tellico area or Big South Fork.
Is there any fly fishing for trout opportunities in the Big South Fork? Do I need a trout stamp? Not wanting honey holes or anything.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:33 PM

You need a trout stamp to fish for or fish in waters that hold trout, even if you are not specifically fishing for trout. The only exception is the Great Smoky Mountain NP, which is a US government entity. I had this clarified by a TWRA officer several years ago. You might also read the latest booklet on rules and regulations.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:49 PM

You don't have to have a stamp in tellico if you're fishing above certain points. I couldn't find anything in the twra or the national park regs Concerning the big south fork
Old 04-28-2012, 01:26 PM

Big South Fork is not a good fishing place. I think there are some small mouth in there...However; the mines, utility boards, and a few bad businesses have polluted that watershed in the worst way. It is amazing how beautiful some of the tributary streams are and they do not contain any fish except for the hardy ones. Read the brochure and you will see tons of water contaminant warnings on the various streams. Makes you wonder how this stuff happens under the public's eye.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 04-28-2012, 06:28 PM

The pollution in the BSF mostly pre-dated it becoming a park. The geology of the soils (in this case lack of) dictates fish abundance of the BSF more so than past industrial practices. Very few trout opportunities on the TN side, more so in KY.

Doesn't matter where you are in the state, if you are not targeting trout you do not need a trout stamp. Obviously if only trout are in the area and you are using troutish type lures/tactics, you will have to explain that to the officer and/or judge.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:18 PM

i love fishing the big south fork its loaded with bass and walleye. Seems too hot for trout, maybe some of its tributaries have trout though. Just remember the water will rise in a hurry there. I've seen it go from 100cfs to 50k cfs in one day. When you see logs stuck in the tops of trees you'll believe it for sure. Oh ya and the long toothy fish live in there too if youre into that sort of thing
Old 04-30-2012, 09:19 AM

Thanks for the info guys. I couldn't fin dmuch in the regs so I was worried that there was no trout fishing in BSF.

I fished around Greenbrier Saturday and took the dog to the park on Sunday. No trouble that way.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:03 AM

Russ,

There are lots of remote creeks here on the Plateau (probably about the same distance for you as further north in Big South Fork). Not much in the way of trout but plenty of smallmouth, rock bass, coosa bass, and panfish. If you ever want to try it out and bring your dog, shoot me an email and I'll give you some places to try or show you around if I can get away...

David Knapp
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 05-02-2012, 08:15 AM

Thanks for the invite Dave! I wouldn't know where to begin fishing for anything other than trout. I'll take you up on a trip to the smokies streams sometime though.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:00 AM

Ok, we'll try to get together sometime and hit the Park!
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com