Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 05-07-2012, 07:24 PM

Default #24 Question

I have never been to the TN side other than fishing WPLPR along 441 once.

I am planning a trip to #24 in June. I am wondering about the hike in. Is it easier to follow Little River Trail from Elkmont or easier to take Cucumber Gap Trail to Little River Trail?

Also curious about the hike, I know it's about 3.5 miles. Is it relatively flat, a lot of elevation gain, etc? Is the trail an old road or a small foot path? I see there are no horses so I assume the trail is in decent shape regarding loose rocks, etc.

I appreciate any feedback anyone can give. I am excited about visiting a new to me place in GSMNP even though I have heard the fishing is absolutely horrible up there.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:47 PM

I think its 4.6 miles. Cucumber gap is .2 miles longer, but is preferable since you are not hiking on gravel the whole time. It as flat as the Smokies gets. I was supposed to go there last weekend but had to cancel. You also might want to consider 30 if you are after Brookies and want a less crowded camp
Old 05-08-2012, 08:36 AM

Hike in is easier to take LR the whole way IMO, and it is a nice easy climb on an old wide roadbed. I hiked up to it 10:30 PM - 12:30 AM, raining the whole time in early March - I'm not in good shape either. There are 2 small stream crossings at the very end, the first of which could be over the calf depending on water levels.

Be sure to check site closings before your trip as 24 gets closed due to bear activity a couple times a year.

As ifish4wildtrout mentioned, 30 is a great site and gets a lot less use, though the trail is a bit more narrow after 24 and the couple stream crossings can be a bit more challenging; one was thigh high on one of my trips.

-Matt-
Old 05-08-2012, 09:39 AM

CS24 has always been my choice of backcountry sites when wanting to fish....just a great location for jumping off to a myriad of locales.......you could stay a week there and never fish the same water twice. It is 3.7 miles from the trailhead to the old turn around where the rivers fork. The campsite is a large one and you can usually find a site that gives you a little taste of solitude. CS24 is about 1/2 mile further on and here you have an actual trail rather than following an old road bed....I can actually remember driving that 3.7 miles and parking my car to start my hike in. CS30 is another 2 miles up the trail and is in a region my family knew as "3 forks"...not to be confused with the region in NC around Raven Creek. I used to fish this area a lot when you could drive within 2 miles but now it is over 6 miles and is hard for an old man to do in a day. If you camp at CS24 and start fishing upstream from there you will probably get a Slam without leaving the river....the higher you go the more brookies you will find. If you are going to be there for a couple of days hike back down head up Fish Camp Prong toward Goshen Prong...walk in about a mile or so before you start fishing...where the trail turns to the left and there is a large white bolder is a great place to start fishing....there is also good fishing from the forks of the river back to the campsite...please give us a report and photos.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifish4wildtrout View Post
I am planning a trip to #24 in June. I am wondering about the hike in. I am excited about visiting a new to me place in GSMNP even though I have heard the fishing is absolutely horrible up there.
As others have said, about as easy as they come...
Have camped at Elkmont and hiked up there to fish and back easily covering 10+ miles all without being completely worn out at the end of the day. Of course, that is without a pack but it is very easy going and is basically an old road. Staying at #24, #30 or even #23 are all going to put you in some prime fishing locations. If you manage to swing #24, you also have the option of walking back down river as well and would have another mile or two of good water in addition to everything above #24. I think I've mentioned that to you before though...

Tight Lines,
Old 05-08-2012, 04:31 PM

Gentlemen, I appreciate all the info.