Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 05-08-2012, 05:28 PM

Default any snake head fish in the Smokys?

I saw on animal planet once an episode about the supposed snake head fish that was flat out invading a lot of waters in the east. didn't know if it included the cold waters of trout streams. anyone heard of this?
Old 05-08-2012, 06:19 PM

They haven't gotten this far south.They have been found in the Potomac, I believe. A search should come up with some info in them. River Monsters on Animal Planet channel had a good program about snakeheads and the giant snakehead. They are a tropical fish so I don't think the water temps and currents in the Smokies and other mountain streams would be to their liking. You got my curiousity up- I'll have to see what conditions they live in.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:19 PM

Just FYI but they are rampant throughout FL. People fish for them just like bass because of how hard they fight. Not currently in TN though and definitely not in the mountains. Hope it stays that way too...

Tight Lines,
Old 05-09-2012, 05:32 PM

I live in margate florida , the river monsters episode was shot in the canals here. My son and his cousin have caught lots of them from 18"- 38", the hit real hard and fight like **** although they never seem to jump. They have a mouthful of teeth that are razor sharp. Florida fish and wildlife requests that any caught should be beheaded to be sure that you have killed them.The kids cut off the heads and throw them back in and in moments the turtles are having a fine meal.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:55 AM

Thanks for the info, surfdog. Gotta love Jeremy Wade and his rivermonsters. One of our favorite TV shows.