Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 05-08-2012, 12:03 PM

Default Little River 5/07 PB Park Fish

I haven't been to the park to fish much this year but something told me to go give it a try. There was a chance of rain and I had a feeling maybe I could catch a nice fish under the overcast conditions that Monday was set to provide. I headed out and made it to the river just after lunch as the rain was just starting. I slid on the rain jacket, tied on a olive bead headed wooly bugger and made my way down to the river. I picked my spot and let it fly. As soon as the bugger hit the water this guy came from the depths and nailed it!

He measured at 16in. and is my best park fish. I ended up cacthing 6 fish in about 3 hours of fishing between downpours. The rest were in the 8 to 12in. range as shown below.

It was just one of those days where I could have packed up after the first cast and gone home happy!!
Old 05-08-2012, 01:11 PM

Smile That's an incredible fish

I'd be thrilled with that fish on a tailwater, and most likely wouldn't know what to do if I hooked onto one in the park

Only downside is now your expectations might now be a little high

One question - Did you have knowledge that the pool you cast into held such a fish? or was it just Dumb Luck? (About the monster living there, not your skills)

I bet you walked back soaked and with a BIG GRIN
Old 05-08-2012, 01:28 PM

Very nice! I bet he pulled like crazy.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:26 PM

I have to admit it was just dumb luck. I have caught some nice rainbows out of the same run in the past but never knew this guy was laying in there.

This fish put up a heck of a fight and I was lucky to land him. He kept making a run for the rapids at the tail of the pool and I just bowed up on him and was able to keep him from making it. The line snapped as I slid him into the net. He was almost the 20 incher that got away! Ha
Old 05-08-2012, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5wt View Post
I have to admit it was just dumb luck. I have caught some nice rainbows out of the same run in the past but never knew this guy was laying in there.

This fish put up a heck of a fight and I was lucky to land him. He kept making a run for the rapids at the tail of the pool and I just bowed up on him and was able to keep him from making it. The line snapped as I slid him into the net. He was almost the 20 incher that got away! Ha
I've taken a lot of jabs on this board over that fish but I stand by my opinion that it was a fish around 20". Glad you caught a good one.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:30 PM

BlueRaider I in no way meant that as a shot at you. Sorry if you took it that way. I honestly don't even know what you are talking about. I was just saying the one that got away always gets a few inches added on. Sorry for the confusion and thanks!
Old 05-09-2012, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5wt View Post
BlueRaider I in no way meant that as a shot at you. Sorry if you took it that way. I honestly don't even know what you are talking about. I was just saying the one that got away always gets a few inches added on. Sorry for the confusion and thanks!
Ah no worries. I've been pecked a few times and now I'm paranoid (half the time I don't know what I'm talkin' about either).
Old 05-09-2012, 01:20 PM

Those browns are borderline psychedelic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaiderFan View Post
Ah no worries. I've been pecked a few times and now I'm paranoid
You don't say... ??
Tape measure, cough... cough...

Tight Lines,
Old 05-09-2012, 02:37 PM

Very nice brown!!!
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 05-09-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnflyfisher View Post
Those browns are borderline psychedelic...

You don't say... ??
Tape measure, cough... cough...

Tight Lines,

ARRRGGGH!!! (picture Charlie Brown missing the football as Lucy pulls it away). I take it all back...it was a 12" fish. Move along.