Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 05-09-2012, 12:47 PM

Default Cherokee NF 5/5-5/6

Last weekend was my wife's birthday, so we loaded up all our gear, baby Crosby, the dogs, etc and went to meet some friends along the North River for some camping. Being her birthday and all, I decided to limit my fishing to no more than a couple of hours the whole weekend. The fish were hungry all weekend, and I wish I could have put in some more time.

Mostly rainbows, with one wild brook trout that I couldn't get a picture of. I did turn a good size brown, who came into some swift water after my dry, but I had slack in the line and didn't get a good set on him. A few of the average fish for the weekend:

Amber decided to fancy up the place with her wine and plastic "stem-ware".

Meanwhile, Crosby has turned into quite the rock chucker. I think I'll take him down to "the bend" on little river next weekend to practice. Hope noboddy was planning on fishing for old sam.

Saturday evening I watched one of the most amazing insect hatches I have seen in the mountains. Lots of Big Golden Stones (10-12), Yellow sallies, what looked to be cahills and maybe some sort of sulphur. While I was sitting on a blanket having a beer after dark, a big salmon fly crawled up and let me examine it. I think my camp lantern killed the river's entire mayfly population that night. I had it sitting on top of my cooler, and the next morning, it looked like the mayflies had re-inacted the battle of Gettysburg on top of it.

Had fun. More to follow in the coming weeks.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:14 AM

Nice photos and write up! Personally, I hate fishing streams that lack betting and fisticuffs.

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com
Old 05-10-2012, 09:26 AM

Default information request

Thanks Grannyknot,
I heading that way this weekend, I have never fished the North River. Is the trail head at the falls ? How far up the trail will I need to venture ? Do the fish feed on bugs similar to those in the park ?
thanks
c.v.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockeye valdez View Post
Thanks Grannyknot,
I heading that way this weekend, I have never fished the North River. Is the trail head at the falls ? How far up the trail will I need to venture ? Do the fish feed on bugs similar to those in the park ?
thanks
c.v.
I believe you are thinking of the Bald River, and yes there is a trailhead at the falls. The North River has a FS road that runs along 90% of it.
And yes, similar bugs that you would find elsewhere in the mountains.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockeye valdez View Post
Thanks Grannyknot,
thanks
c.v.
Hey, cockeye, I was thinking of hitting one of the streams in that neck of the woods this Sunday myself. If you'll still be in the area then and open to the idea of having some company, I'd be glad to show you around a little. Drop me a line at srstarkey at comcast dot net if you want to discuss options. SC
Old 05-10-2012, 11:23 AM

Nice report...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannyknot View Post
I believe you are thinking of the Bald River, and yes there is a trailhead at the falls. The North River has a FS road that runs along 90% of it.
And yes, similar bugs that you would find elsewhere in the mountains.
CV-
What he said...
The North is a really fun little river to fish. Might I recommend trying the lower section where it empties into the Tellico. I have always done well down there. Also, the area of stream around Donley Cabin. Some nice looking water that tends to hold some bigger fish. If you want some brookie action, drive up the road to where things start to climb in elevation and you see the river getting skinny. As far as flies go, the usual suspects will work there as well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouseMan77 View Post
Personally, I hate fishing streams that lack betting and fisticuffs.

Tight Lines,
Old 05-10-2012, 11:28 AM

CV, @ the next bridge after the falls is a trailhead for cow camp. It's on the right side heading up.You have to jump the guard rail there.Head up and drop straight over and it will dropp you above the gourge.
Lynn