Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 05-14-2012, 12:20 PM

Like many of you I have purchased several different packs, vests, etc.

Vest first, then a William Joseph chest pack. The chest pack started annoying the heck out of me unless it was almost empty, so then it was a lanyard and an ultra light Chicobag backpack. The latest combination will still be used on backpacking trips, however for day trips I believe the sling pack will serve me well.

Orvis is always sending me $25 off $50 coupons, and I recently picked up the sling pack using one of them. Though I haven't had it on the water yet, I really like how things attach and how the huge pocket can hold many fly boxes with ease. It does not feel "in the way" when loaded like the chest pack. I'm taking a trip to Virginia for some fishing on Thursday, and the sling pack will have its maiden voyage.

-Matt-
Old 05-14-2012, 04:09 PM

Default Recent Purchase

I recently purchased a new one (with a $25 off coupon), and while I like it, it's not the end-all, be-all that I had hoped. I hate vests as well, I seem to end up carrying more flies and crap than I would like, just to be prepared. The sling pack lets me carry several boxes of flies and other stuff that I couldn't normally clip to my shirt or belt. You can easily slide the pack around to front and then slide it back, but if you do that you wind up getting chafed on your neck from the strap slinging it back and forth across your shoulder (moving to the front and then the back). I think Orvis really thought that people would sling it back and forth since they put the nipper attachment point on the bag, when it really should be on the strap that is in front of you most of the time. The new version is missing a feature that I think they should have included from the old version. It was a little detachable pouch that you could hook to the strap in front and carry your essentials (like a small fly box, gink and a small of tippet). You then only had to sling the pack to the front for some out of the ordinary object.

Since the new one doesn't have this little pouch, I end up putting my essentials in my front pants pockets (and attaching my forceps, nippers and Frog Fanny to the front strap of the pack - a lanyard around my neck also holds one small box of flies). I only sling the pack around and retrieve something from the main pack compartment when I have something I only need once in awhile (like 2x tippet or a streamer box, packable rain jacket or a sandwich).

I think if you plan it correctly and only have to reach in the pack every once in awhile and not every time you change a fly, its awesome. Its very light weight and is great if you already have a minimalist mentality but want to carry a few extra items with you for longer trips.

I have a friend who has the old style of the Orvis Sling Pack and for feature-sake, its better than the new version (although its not as rugged). If you can ever find one on ebay for less than $50, buy it. I recently watched a few old ones go for over $70 so don't hold your breath...Here is one that closes out on May 20: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Orvis-Safe-P...#ht_500wt_1413

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 05-14-2012, 04:15 PM

I am pretty sure it is, but is there adequate space for a water bottle or 2 to be stored in there?
Old 05-14-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifish4wildtrout View Post
I am pretty sure it is, but is there adequate space for a water bottle or 2 to be stored in there?
Yes it can fit a 1 Litre Nalgene standing up (all the way on the deep side) with some room left over...but I doubt you could get two big ones. You might also look at a 750ml, or a flask, that would fit even better, without bulging the pack as much against your back.

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 05-14-2012, 05:05 PM

I just "pulled the trigger" and ordered one.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:27 PM

I've always gone back and forth on a vest and fanny pack but was never thrilled with either. After reading this I had the opportunity to try one on and really liked it. Fished with it 4 times and love it. Very comfortable and holds a ton of stuff.

"My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my fly-fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."