Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 05-14-2012, 11:07 AM

I wouldn't get in water so deep that my gat would get wet. There are ways to carry and keep it handy. Heavy? Mine weighs about 2-1/2 pounds, loaded. A good holster system would make it virtually weightless.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knothead View Post
I wouldn't get in water so deep that my gat would get wet. There are ways to carry and keep it handy. Heavy? Mine weighs about 2-1/2 pounds, loaded. A good holster system would make it virtually weightless.

Weight...a good excuse to tell the wife you need another lighter pistol
Old 05-14-2012, 12:45 PM

A Glock 27 or XD subcompact fits perfectly into a Fishpond vest on the left side for a right handed person. Just saying.

PS..they will always work but your cellphone may not.
If they get wet, WD-40, then blow that out with compressed air, then re-oil. Very simple.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:59 PM

Flat Fly N, does the Fishpond vest have the velcro closure pocket? Also, I would never use WD-40 on any of my firearms. It's a penetrant, not just a lubricant, and prolonged exposure can damage the bluing and it's been reported that WD-40 can actually neutralize the primers on certain ammo. Just my two cents worth, but nothing but Hoppes on mine and also the recommendation of my gunsmith buddies.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:56 PM

I carry a full size 1911, stainless. I holster outside the waist band on my hip. I use a good quality leather pancake holster. It will, and does get wet when I fall in.

I use my shirt tail to conceal it in the park, per the law. On National Forest, I open carry. I can CC or OC on NC National Forest land, I prefer OC.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytroutman View Post
Flat Fly N, does the Fishpond vest have the velcro closure pocket? Also, I would never use WD-40 on any of my firearms. It's a penetrant, not just a lubricant, and prolonged exposure can damage the bluing and it's been reported that WD-40 can actually neutralize the primers on certain ammo. Just my two cents worth, but nothing but Hoppes on mine and also the recommendation of my gunsmith buddies.
No the Fishpond is a zippered vertical entry next to the body. It's one of the 700(just kidding) comparments on the Wasatch vest.

I don't leave the WD40 (water displacement formula #40) ON the gun more than 2 minutes before I blow it off with an air compressor. I then re-oil, with an oil like Break-Free. Trust me, I have this down as I have taken a drink in a tailwater from time to time. PS...this was recommended to me when I called the guys at Predator Shop, and they apparently do this either in WD40 or mineral spirits after they do all this competition water shoots etc. I figured they would know best....cool website www.predatorcustomshop.com/

Last edited by Flat Fly n; 05-14-2012 at 05:22 PM..
Old 05-14-2012, 10:51 PM

Default I would rather...

have a gun and never need it than not have one and find iyt was needed for self protection or to defend my loved ones. I have been in situations that being armed prevented assault or untimely death, in one such situation, simply by my revealing to an intruder that I had it in hand, the intruder decided to abort his entrance into the home I was visiting. He had cut the phone lines and made plans knowing folks were there and presuming we were all asleep.

Mike
"Fly-fishing has many attributes, but none more pleasing than it's ability to liberate the young boy that still hides within me and to let that boy live again without embarrassment or regret, sorrow or anguish." Harry Middleton
Old 05-14-2012, 11:02 PM

The XD 40 compact fit's my Fishpond Double Haul nicely, thankfully, it's never had to be used.

Grumpy