Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 05-21-2012, 09:30 PM

Default Stream Etiquitte ~ about to become a memory ??

I'm sure this subject has been talked about before on this forum and I hadn't given it much thought until Sunday when I was fishing a small stream near Townsend. A man parked his car , got out and came down the bank to the creek about 100' above me. He looked down the stream , waved and turned to start fishing...................... What the H*** is wrong with people ?? I walked up to talk to him and he stated that 2 guys had just jumped in ahead of him. I really believe that he felt justified in "jumping in" in front of me !!!!!

We talked on for a few minutes and he offered to leave but I told him that I had been fishing for a couple of hours, was getting a little tired and he could have the stream.....We shook hands and I left...

PLEASE GUYS/GALS BE CONSIDERATE OF THE OTHER FISHERMAN.... IF SOMEONE GETS TO A SPOT BEFORE YOU SIMPLY WALK AROUND THEM AND LEAVE THEM SOME ROOM...... TREAT THEM THE SAME WAY YOU WANT YO BE TREATED..

ENOUGH SAID .... I FEEL BETTER NOW!
Old 05-21-2012, 10:36 PM

This is the reason I hang out on the eastern side of the park...
Old 05-21-2012, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerFlyFisher View Post
This is the reason I hang out on the eastern side of the park...
that, or just go to places that require some effort to get to. Most people won't and you will most likely have the stream to yourself.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:08 AM

Default Made me feel bad.

Two years ago on Troutfest weekend a guy walked in 20 yards above me (he saw me) so I went 40 yards above him, caught two nice trout , releasesd them and left. I am still sorry I did that. You may get pissed off at someone's lack of etiquette but it is a big park. How about if what made you feel good was that you slipped out thru the woods, gave the other fellow the room you expected him to give you, and didn"t let him ruin your day in such a rare and wonderful place. I reckon I am still working on that attitude myself. But I AM working on it! Do unto others as...? Study to be quiet,
Old 05-22-2012, 06:59 AM

Guys, I've fished this park for almost 50 years. It doesn't matter which side you fish or or whether you find a secluded spot or not..... fact still remains that we need to respect others and give them room !!

Thanks for your input.....
Old 05-22-2012, 03:20 PM

just be glad that you can still get out and fish.........it's all good........it's not the size and the numbers....it's the moment that matters.......yonder....
Old 05-22-2012, 04:44 PM

I agree; that is messed up...but the park is so big that unless I'm in my absolute favorite run, I'll just leave.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:47 PM

Perhaps, in the realm of "no good deed goes unpunished": when approaching Little River a couple weeks ago, I saw a fly fisherman near where I was going to start fishing. I waited till he was between casts and asked whether he was working up or down stream and said he guessed he would go down stream, so, I went some distance up stream before starting to fish, giving him plenty of room especially since we were going in opposite directions.

About 45 minutes later when I was about to head back to the road to get back to my truck, a younger gentleman with a spin-cast outfit came down the bank and started fishing about 20 yards down stream from me; he said nothing more than 'hello' and started casting while his girlfriend / spouse began "wading" in the river - - fortunately, since I was about to move on, it was no big deal.

Even though karma seemed not to play even-up for me, I know I did the right thing by the other fly fisherman, and would handle it the same way again.

Best wishes and good luck ("tight lines" as we say) to those who get to throw some bugs at the wily trout in GSMNP over the next few weeks and months - - sounds like it'll be awhile before I can back to the Park.

May the trout be hungry, not too bright and non-fictional, y'all!

FishStu
Old 05-22-2012, 06:36 PM

How much room is appropriate? I am pretty new to fly fishing, so I really don't know and I don't want to be rude.

I was fishing the Clinch and a guy that looked much more experienced seemed to be fine with wading out about 30 feet away from me... I guess that's why I'm a little confused when I read about rude people only leaving 20 yards.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:01 PM

I don't know if these rude people didn't care or just didn't know. But I would have said something to them, including the "Golden Rule." Politely, of course. Hopefully, they are just ignorant of stream etiquette, but someone has to tell them.

Maybe the fishermen and women need to take a fishing education and courtesy class similar to hunters. The fly fishing clubs seem to do a good job of educating fly flingers, and I'm thinking of TU and FFF, and the excellent forums such as thisone.

Bill