Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Old 05-08-2012, 09:37 AM

Default For Lynn and all those wanting salt report

I have been extremely busy lately, with not much time to fish or post so I apologize ahead of time. I had a very unique fly fishing week last week. I went up to TN on Monday, getting there Monday evening. I was staying on a Lodge on the S. Holston.

I had tied a couple of yellow bodied soft hackles for the trip, and was able to get on the water for about an hour. I ended up catching 3-4 rainbows and a brown or two all on the soft hackle. I did not get any pictures of the rainbows, but here is one of the browns:

On day two I went on a float trip on the Holston for some smallmouth with my friends Owen, and Patrick. I ended up catching some nice smallies, and broke off a really nice fish:

I caught about a 12 inch brown that evening, then settled in for dinner. On Wednesday morning I tied on a black beetle and hit the S. Holston again for some rising fish:

You can see the bettle in this 12 inch fish

This one was a nice one at about 15 inches.

I ended up catching 4 browns that morning before heading back to beaufort.

On Saturday morning I fished and early morning tide....luckily it was early because I had to be to work at 0930. I saw one tail, and ended up catching a 25 inch red in about 6 inches of water:

On Sunday I met my buddy Paul out at the Broad River. We wanted to look for Cobia, and went early hoping that the wind would be down, but it was rough....ended up stopping at a high tide flat to look for tailers. I saw one tail show about 25 yards away....saw it twice but then it disappeared. We waited a while and once the sun was higher we went ahead and started looking for cobia. Although the wind had the water rough, with the good light it was still possible to spot fish. My partner Paul spotted a fish right before a cloud crossed the sun and lost it. After the cloud had passed I found the fish again and my partner Paul made a great cast and cuaght a nice 41 inch (Fork Length) Cobia. We looked for a while with no joy, when a fish came up behind the boat near Paul's cobia. I turned and let gave my fly some slack and saw the other fish take the fly. I would have preferred to cast to the fish after spotting it, but will take what I can get. It was a 36 inch (FL) cobia. We used a boga type grip on this fish and it was released after I landed it.

All in all it was a unique fly fishing week, I caugt Rainbows, Browns, Smallmouth, Redfish, and Cobia all on the fly between Monday and Sunday.

John
Old 05-08-2012, 10:06 AM

Good to hear from you John. Talk about a trifecta. Coldwater,warmwater and saltwater in one week. I bet not many people can say they've done that. Thanks for the report. Next time your in Tennessee give me a shout if you don't have anything else to do. I'll show you some of my haunts.As always great pics. Did you eat the cobia.Heard they were great table fair.
Lynn
Old 05-08-2012, 11:44 AM

Lynn,
We ended up gaffing my buddies fish because his big boga type grip was not working. We kept his fish, and split the filets. We did not want to take another fish when I caught mine, so we used my small boga type grip and were able to land it without gaffing it, and so it was released. I can tell you that I grilled cobia steaks on the grill last night, and based on that my wife asked me to grill some more tonight!

John
Old 05-08-2012, 11:47 AM

Check out this video that my friend Owen, a guide from Bay Street Outfitters posted on a great cobia take:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Fp1FdUDx28
Old 05-08-2012, 01:00 PM

Awesome take on the video. Good to hear from you John. If you were nice you'd wait on me to drive fromm Tenn. to your house for supper.LOL. Hope you have a good meal.
Lynn
Old 05-09-2012, 12:23 AM

Nice report and great variety! I always enjoy your saltwater reports because it is something I've only attempted a couple of times and really don't know much about. It's fun to see what others are able to catch out there though!
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 05-09-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnH0802 View Post
I can tell you that I grilled cobia steaks on the grill last night, and based on that my wife asked me to grill some more tonight!
You definitely have me vey jelly right now...
Cobia and corvina, two of my favorites for the dinner table!

Tight Lines,
Old 05-16-2012, 11:26 AM

No kidding, jealous ain't the word! Nice fish, glad you had a great time and good eats.
I had it in the works to get down there this go around for cobia season, but unfortunately, my connection to the area (brother in law) ended up moving back to GA.
At any rate, I came across some low country blog posts that mentioned you and a LC Shrimp pattern... would you happen to be the originator? I've been trying to find a photo of and or tying recipe...I'm trying putting together a saltwater box for a couple of trips this summer. Thanks for any help.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:55 AM

Waterborn,
I actually am the originator of that pattern. If you e-mail me your address I will send you one. Holbrookjg and it is at the gmail dot com.

JohnH0802

Last edited by JohnH0802; 05-17-2012 at 08:57 AM.. Reason: forgot e-mail address
Old 05-17-2012, 10:52 AM

Epic post! I have caught plenty of cobia (not on the fly), but it is the one saltwater fish I would really like to catch on the fly! I'm jealous!!!

Tags
brown, cobia, rainbow, redfish, smallmouth