Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 04-28-2010, 07:58 PM

Default kentucky trout fishing

Has anyone fished any kentucky mountain streams this year, if so how was the fishing?
Old 04-28-2010, 09:49 PM

As far as I have heard, a lot if not all of mountain streams that were DH didn't get planted this last fall due to the hatchery problems at Cumberland. Pull up the Ky fish and wildlife Dept. web site and they have an up to date stocking list with streams. Rock Creek in McCreary Co. is usually well stocked.

Randall Sale
the Kytroutbum
Old 04-28-2010, 11:34 PM

I was wondering. I have fished several this spring with varied success ranging from poor to good. That explains the not so good winter fishing (no sight of fish in some) compared to last year. Yes rock creek is a well stocked stream. I have wondered why they do not stock browns in there, it seems to be good habitat for them. Deep pools and some good cover, maybe because of the pressure it gets. Upstream would be nice though.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:22 AM

I could be wrong, but I thought the only stream that didn't get stocked in the fall was East Fork of Indian Creek and that it was due to forest service road being closed. I couldn't find anything online and my memory could be flawed.

I had some success at Lynn Camp the two times I went, but not in the numbers I usually get.

Here is the stocking schedule for May

http://fw.ky.gov/troutsched.asp
Old 04-29-2010, 11:49 AM

I hiked with my fly rod up Swift Camp, Clifty and Indian the middle of last October. After seeing no sign of fish, I checked with the Forest Service, who called Minor Clark and no plantings had been done due to the low water and problems at Cumberland. I heard (not official) they put most of the trout into the Cumberland River rather than lose them due to the warm water at the Wolf Creek Hatchery. The stream levels and temperatures at the locations to be planted were not good and the fish could not be "held" till later.(again unofficial).

Randall Sale
Old 04-29-2010, 09:21 PM

i hiked up swift this spring and seen 1 trout, needless to say i didnt catch him. Supposed to have stocked it in april, but unless they did it in the last week or so it didnt happen. Bark camp is my favorite, rock creek is nice as well on upstream. Laurel creek is usually pretty good in the spring. I seen somewhere on this board that chimney top was in "bad shape". I was there this past october and the water level was very low, i didnt see any fish. I would like to try for some brookies before the drought.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:23 PM

The Brookies are in Parched Corn on the other side of the Chimney Tops Road. Supposedly it was shocked according to an EKU student who posted here and they only found 3 small fish. I caught one around 6 inches many years ago in it. Rumor has it was stocked with Michigan fish in the "60's by s bucket biologist. The state does not stock it. I've had state people ask me about it.

Chimney Top Creek, Wolf Pen and Gladie in the Gorge had Brown fingerlings planted in them by the state and Bluegrass TU 10-12 (?) years ago. I never found any fish that "took" in Gladie or Wolf Pen. I caught and released several nice browns in Chimney Top a couple years later and saw several redds in the Fall with fish on them for several years. The following years, we had droughts and no fish so I left that area alone.

Being retired, and (when I'm home), The Smokies are only 4 1/2 hours away so I head that way if I can get a couple days free. I know at least I'm throwing flies over fish there. I live on Lake Carnico near Carlisle and throw flies on South Fork and Main Licking for Smallies along with fishing the Lake.

Randall Sale
the Kytroutbum
Old 04-29-2010, 11:19 PM

yea really, nothing like the Smokys, lucky souls that live around them. Definitely not fishing over fish in the gorge. I still go though what the heck, to me it beats roasting in the sun at wolf creek, although it sure is nice hooking into a 18 inch fish. speaking of big fish, paint creek in painstville is supposed to have some, it has me curious. I will have to check it out also before the drought .
Old 05-01-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kytroutbum View Post
I hiked with my fly rod up Swift Camp, Clifty and Indian the middle of last October. After seeing no sign of fish, I checked with the Forest Service, who called Minor Clark and no plantings had been done due to the low water and problems at Cumberland. I heard (not official) they put most of the trout into the Cumberland River rather than lose them due to the warm water at the Wolf Creek Hatchery. The stream levels and temperatures at the locations to be planted were not good and the fish could not be "held" till later.(again unofficial).

Randall Sale

Thanks for the clarification. I don't know why I was thinking that everything got stocked. Now that you mentioned it, seems like I remember reading a press release from KDFWR that they did over stock the Cumberland to avoid die off at the hatchery.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:01 AM

Ky Tim,

I was coming back from Helms Landing and saw the sign for Lynn Camp. There was an open field that was gated and locked. Where would I park to fish there. It looked nice and I've read that there is about 5 miles of fishable water there.

Any info will be appreciated.

"My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my fly-fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."