Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 05-22-2012, 07:09 PM

Tailwaters and mountain streams are completely different animals. There are days on some of the tailwaters around here where you need to bring your own rock to stand on and if you can cast your fly without crossing someone else's drift it's all good. At least that's the way it seems to me and why I don't like fishing tailwaters.

Mountain streams, on the other hand are a lot more sensitive to other folks in the vicinity. If you can see another fisherman or even wet boot prints, you should probably find somewhere else to fish. That is, unless you are really good at finding the fish the other folks missed and didn't spook completely. If you know which way the other guy is fishing (upstream or downstream), you can go to where they started and head the other way. Otherwise, I like to give him at least an hour's worth of undisturbed water between us before I start fishing which translates in my mind to a 15 to 20 minute (or longer) walk before jumping in.

That said, in my mind at least, Little River along the road can be more like a tailwater than the smaller creeks in that it seems most people will fish a couple of hundred yards or so, then go back to their car to move to the next stretch. So I probably wouldn't give quite as much space there. That is, if I was inclined to fish that stretch of water in the first place.

Hope that helps. SC
Old 05-22-2012, 11:42 PM

About two weeks ago on a Thursday afternoon I was having a fine time on the Clinch at the end of the path from the church about fifty feet from the bank standing in that nice, cool shade of those big trees along the shoreline and catching the heck out of those little brook trout (with an occasional rainbow of some size every once in awhile) when two teenage kids walked up with spinning outfits. Now, there were only two other souls in sight on the river at that time and they were way on upstream so where do you think these two were gonna set up shop? When the pants were rolled up and they stepped out into the water right in front of me, I said, "Gentlemen, I am fishing here. There are plenty of other places for you to try your luck but not here, if you don't mind?" And dang it, just then I hooked another brookie.

To their credit, they moved down river.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old east tn boy View Post
About two weeks ago on a Thursday afternoon I was having a fine time on the Clinch at the end of the path from the church about fifty feet from the bank standing in that nice, cool shade of those big trees along the shoreline and catching the heck out of those little brook trout (with an occasional rainbow of some size every once in awhile) when two teenage kids walked up with spinning outfits. Now, there were only two other souls in sight on the river at that time and they were way on upstream so where do you think these two were gonna set up shop? When the pants were rolled up and they stepped out into the water right in front of me, I said, "Gentlemen, I am fishing here. There are plenty of other places for you to try your luck but not here, if you don't mind?" And dang it, just then I hooked another brookie.

Thanks for saying something to those kids, that needs to happen more often. IMHO.

Bill
Old 05-23-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old east tn boy View Post

I think I was out there on that day, I was fishing just out in front of the little picnic area, and I was doing pretty dang good that day. They didn't seem to get in my way, I can be sloppy with my back cast when I want to be or should say need to be . I left and on the way out they asked me what I was using, and asked questions about fly fishing in general. I answered their questions and before leaving I gave them the half torn apart PT I was using, and told them if they get a fly rod get some of these to use.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:00 PM

Sometimes..one has to contemplate the notion of "risk versus reward".......if it was my day off......I would plan ahead and make the most out of the experience......"experience being the key word"!!!!!! Not trying to ruffle any feathers...........sometimes we have to accept what materializes before us..........patience is key...........another lesson from my grandfather..........a wise man........
Old 05-24-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stana Claus View Post
Tailwaters and mountain streams are completely different animals. There are days on some of the tailwaters around here where you need to bring your own rock to stand on and if you can cast your fly without crossing someone else's drift it's all good. At least that's the way it seems to me and why I don't like fishing tailwaters.

Mountain streams, on the other hand are a lot more sensitive to other folks in the vicinity. If you can see another fisherman or even wet boot prints, you should probably find somewhere else to fish. That is, unless you are really good at finding the fish the other folks missed and didn't spook completely. If you know which way the other guy is fishing (upstream or downstream), you can go to where they started and head the other way. Otherwise, I like to give him at least an hour's worth of undisturbed water between us before I start fishing which translates in my mind to a 15 to 20 minute (or longer) walk before jumping in.

That said, in my mind at least, Little River along the road can be more like a tailwater than the smaller creeks in that it seems most people will fish a couple of hundred yards or so, then go back to their car to move to the next stretch. So I probably wouldn't give quite as much space there. That is, if I was inclined to fish that stretch of water in the first place.

Hope that helps. SC
That does help a lot, actually. Just to be safe I've been trying to give guys at least 150 feet on the Clinch. One day I waded down river what seemed like forever trying to give everyone room.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:10 PM

Try the Soda Butte on a weekend...............when you get there....you find an open hole........and you stay there.....trying to figure out what the fish are keying on..........there is no room for advancing upstream........and when you finally catch a 20 inch cutthrout, you will achieve what most of the anglers only dream about....... again, patience is key.......
Old 05-24-2012, 11:01 PM

This is the reason I avoid the park on holiday and festival weekends. No matter how much we talk about it there will always be a never ending supply of rude and ignorant people. So, I choose to just avoid the area during those times so that I don't leave frustrated.

One gent on the Clinch I have had a run in with twice, during midweek of all times. I usually wade 1/4 mile to the area I generally fish, and typically take my time doing it surveying the activity on the way. Two times I have had a guy come running down the bank past with gear in hand, slide down a steep bank into the water about 20' ahead of me, and "speed wade" to a particularly fruitful hole on the river. One time he didn't even have his waders completely on and his rod was still in 4 pieces! I wasn't even going to the hole, but farther downstream. If he had only asked me, I would have told him that he could have it. If there are other anglers present when I arrive, I ask where they are going so that I can be sure to not intrude on their water.

For that reason, the tailwaters and streams will have one fewer person on them this weekend. Regardless of how bad I need to fish....

As I have said for a long time now; common sense, courtesy, and personal responsibility are lost in society these days with the increase of an "entitlement" mentality sweeping America.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 05-25-2012, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonder View Post
Sometimes..one has to contemplate the notion of "risk versus reward".......if it was my day off......I would plan ahead and make the most out of the experience......"experience being the key word"!!!!!! Not trying to ruffle any feathers...........sometimes we have to accept what materializes before us..........patience is key...........another lesson from my grandfather..........a wise man........
Very wise words Yonder-Life is full of stressors and worrying about what others do is something we can control.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 05-25-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemEAngler View Post
One gent on the Clinch I have had a run in with twice, during midweek of all times. I usually wade 1/4 mile to the area I generally fish, and typically take my time doing it surveying the activity on the way. Two times I have had a guy come running down the bank past with gear in hand, slide down a steep bank into the water about 20' ahead of me, and "speed wade" to a particularly fruitful hole on the river. One time he didn't even have his waders completely on and his rod was still in 4 pieces! I wasn't even going to the hole, but farther downstream. If he had only asked me, I would have told him that he could have it. If there are other anglers present when I arrive, I ask where they are going so that I can be sure to not intrude on their water.

For that reason, the tailwaters and streams will have one fewer person on them this weekend. Regardless of how bad I need to fish....

As I have said for a long time now; common sense, courtesy, and personal responsibility are lost in society these days with the increase of an "entitlement" mentality sweeping America.
I had that happen on the Caney Fork years ago as i was guiding a couple of guys, 3 guys run in below us, jump in the water. I drop the anchor & fish at that spot for a few, pull anchor & off they run downstream. I give them the next slot as well.
Pull the anchor again & off they go about 1/2 mile below me to the next run, told my clent's i was fixing to have a word with them upon reaching the spot.
Reaching the spot i told them i was going to the next run & should they decide to race for it, upon arrival, i was going to pull an oar out of the lock & break their legs, one of the client's said he was going to pull the other one to help speed up the process, you would have thought we blew the candles out on their B-Day cake as they turned around & walked the 1/2 mile back to where they had run from.
Some people

Grumpy