Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 05-23-2012, 12:34 AM

Default Another weird one in the park

So I'm sitting on the back of my car with the hatchback up removing my waders after an afternoon and evening on the WPLP just above the Chimney Tops trailhead. I am at a pull-off parking area along HWY 441. It is getting on toward 8 pm, pouring rain and dusk is coming early. Not even much traffic on the road when an SUV comes barreling into the lot and pulls right up to my car, T-bone fashion. Guy gets out, walks over, ducks his head under the hatchback and says, "What are you doing?"

Heavy accent, middle eastern appearance, mid 20's and I am having to look up at him (I hate that, makes me feel vulnerable). "Well, I've been fishing," says I. I get a blank stare back. Raise my right hand, pretend to cast, then pretend to crank with my left; "You know, fishing?" More blank stare. About this time I see motion to my right as the passenger side car door opens and a young woman emerges and walks off down toward the river. Did I mention it's pouring down rain?

Well, feces, I have gone off and left both Ms. Annie AND Mr. Kimber at home. Silly me!

Guy seems to finally wake up and says, "I need a house to sleep in." Steeples his hands like a roof and then puts them together against the side of his head and tilts it. "Oh," says I, "You need a motel room for the night?"

"No, no," says he, "I need a house." Well, okay, guy has a thing about motels. "What you want is a chalet," says I, making a roof with my hands to indicate it is like a house. "Yes," says he. Hey, we are making progress after all. "So, where do you want to stay?" says I. He points up the road toward Newfound Gap and says, "What's that way?"

"Either Cherokee, Maggie Valley or Robbinsville, North Carolina," says I, "but you may have a hard time finding a chalet in any of those towns, especially on short notice." He points down the road and says, "What's that way?"

Well, duh, you came from that direction, didn't you notice when you drove through? But being the nice guy that I am and remembering how I am missing Ms. Annie and Mr. Kimber, I says, "Well, that way is your best bet to find a chalet for the night. Go past the first traffic light to the Econolodge and ask the person at the desk for help finding one." Blank stare is back.

By now, it's getting late, I'm tired and hungry and getting a little weary of playing sixty questions with this guy so I go on about my business with securing things for the ride home. Next thing I know the car is leaving; didn't even say thanks, have a nice day, drop dead, nothing. Just left.

And I still don't know if the young lady left with him. I forgot to look for her before I left. And it was still pouring down rain!
Old 05-23-2012, 02:41 AM

well that is just plain weird...and scary.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:31 AM

Smile

Typical Tourista. Well maybe with a few more culture barriers

I'm sure he was just lost and unfamiliar with his surroundings. I know Gatlinburg is pretty scary to me, so to a middle easterner could be REALLY SCARY, especailly if you have a motel fear.

I was hiking in to fish Road Prong on Sat, and I bet Steve that someone would ask us if there were fish in the stream. Sure enough within 5 minutes.....
Old 05-23-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old east tn boy View Post
So I'm sitting on the back of my car with the hatchback up removing my waders after an afternoon and evening on the WPLP just above the Chimney Tops trailhead. I am at a pull-off parking area along HWY 441. It is getting on toward 8 pm, pouring rain and dusk is coming early. Not even much traffic on the road when an SUV comes barreling into the lot and pulls right up to my car, T-bone fashion. Guy gets out, walks over, ducks his head under the hatchback and says, "What are you doing?"

Heavy accent, middle eastern appearance, mid 20's and I am having to look up at him (I hate that, makes me feel vulnerable). "Well, I've been fishing," says I. I get a blank stare back. Raise my right hand, pretend to cast, then pretend to crank with my left; "You know, fishing?" More blank stare. About this time I see motion to my right as the passenger side car door opens and a young woman emerges and walks off down toward the river. Did I mention it's pouring down rain?

Well, feces, I have gone off and left both Ms. Annie AND Mr. Kimber at home. Silly me!

Guy seems to finally wake up and says, "I need a house to sleep in." Steeples his hands like a roof and then puts them together against the side of his head and tilts it. "Oh," says I, "You need a motel room for the night?"

"No, no," says he, "I need a house." Well, okay, guy has a thing about motels. "What you want is a chalet," says I, making a roof with my hands to indicate it is like a house. "Yes," says he. Hey, we are making progress after all. "So, where do you want to stay?" says I. He points up the road toward Newfound Gap and says, "What's that way?"

"Either Cherokee, Maggie Valley or Robbinsville, North Carolina," says I, "but you may have a hard time finding a chalet in any of those towns, especially on short notice." He points down the road and says, "What's that way?"

Well, duh, you came from that direction, didn't you notice when you drove through? But being the nice guy that I am and remembering how I am missing Ms. Annie and Mr. Kimber, I says, "Well, that way is your best bet to find a chalet for the night. Go past the first traffic light to the Econolodge and ask the person at the desk for help finding one." Blank stare is back.

By now, it's getting late, I'm tired and hungry and getting a little weary of playing sixty questions with this guy so I go on about my business with securing things for the ride home. Next thing I know the car is leaving; didn't even say thanks, have a nice day, drop dead, nothing. Just left.

And I still don't know if the young lady left with him. I forgot to look for her before I left. And it was still pouring down rain!
You sure do find yourself in some odd situations. I cannot put a handle on that one myself.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 05-23-2012, 09:03 AM

Ahh, he was just distracting you while his woman took a pee.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
I bet Steve that someone would ask us if there were fish in the stream. Sure enough within 5 minutes.....
It is really sad how often people ask that question...
I usually answer them with the affirmative, but at some point I'm just going to say, "you know, I never really thought about it", as I walk away with a flyrod in my hands...

Sarcasm (n): The brain's natural defense against the less intelligent

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 05-23-2012, 11:13 AM

There have been trips when I wondered the same thing.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
I was hiking in to fish Road Prong on Sat, and I bet Steve that someone would ask us if there were fish in the stream. Sure enough within 5 minutes.....
Haha. I usually get that there too. I usually answer with, "only little tiny ones. Don't waste your time here!"
Old 05-23-2012, 01:08 PM

I had an indian guy (dots not feathers) ask me to use my fly rod. I said he would need a license and kept fishing. I assumed he understood English but asked me again because he was being pushy, so I moved up river a bit. About 5 minutes later a huge rock about the size of a football comes crashing next to me in the water. I look back to see where the heck it came from (I didn't think it had just rolled down the hill behind me because of the angle it came down at). Sure enough, there he is with a ticked off look on his face. I realized that by the time I got down to the steps up to the parking lot he would be gone. I waited for him to turn around, which he did when he saw the look on my face, and leave. I've seen the rangers patrolling maybe twice in all of my visits to the park.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaiderFan View Post
I had an indian guy (dots not feathers) ask me to use my fly rod. I said he would need a license and kept fishing. I assumed he understood English but asked me again because he was being pushy, so I moved up river a bit. About 5 minutes later a huge rock about the size of a football comes crashing next to me in the water. I look back to see where the heck it came from (I didn't think it had just rolled down the hill behind me because of the angle it came down at). Sure enough, there he is with a ticked off look on his face. I realized that by the time I got down to the steps up to the parking lot he would be gone. I waited for him to turn around, which he did when he saw the look on my face, and leave. I've seen the rangers patrolling maybe twice in all of my visits to the park.
Why didn't you pick one up and sling at him? i would have