Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 05-24-2012, 08:21 AM

Post May 24 - Clinch River Report

I have fished most of this month and experienced a wide variety of conditions on the river. So; I thought I would share if some are interested.

Upper Clinch is cold until fog burn off (47 deg water temp.) Fish are sipping and slower to takes. Fishing the seams with nymphs is producing well until sunlight. Also; quick water and shoals are consistent.
-Sulphurs start sporadically hatching most of the day from 11:15am onward and trout will work dry flies at pool tail-outs, shoals, and fast water.
-Small midge emergers/black fly with puffs and long leaders are working at Millers-Upward when the fish are sipping during mid-day.
Mid Clinch is a little warmer (57 deg on average) with sulphurs starting 7am-9pm.

Lower Clinch-no water temp...forgot my calibrated thermometer and did not want to waste time with one I could not rely on...Best sulphur hatches on the river and late evening is spectacular on dries. Better add something to help it stand out in the river for late evening fishing. I would recommend taking a headlamp and trying one of the late hatches (7:30-8:30pm) if you have not done that before...

*Key flies of choice:
-split case pmds (olive & yellow)
-wire/black fly with cdc puff for slower sipping fish
-(#12-14) large Christmas Midges for fast water seems.
-indicator emerger for rises
-my variation of a spinner with parachute wings. I like to tie it on big hooks to help it sit down in the film and clarify its body profile to the fish. Also; not hackle-just poly wings.

*PS-5/25/12
This pattern works amazingly well fished to a rise and sippers.

Link to tying video:
http://littleriveroutfitters.com/for...=midge+emerger
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Last edited by MadisonBoats; 05-25-2012 at 08:35 AM.. Reason: Added some images
Old 05-24-2012, 04:57 PM

Great information. I am heading up to the Clinch tomorrow with my brother. Thanks for all the tips!
Old 05-26-2012, 12:29 AM

Went out today (Friday) from around 11-3:30. I was surprised how few people were on the Clinch today.

Was throwing sulphurs with no luck...the trout were rising but wouldn't give them a second look for the most part. My brother hooked one early on, but after that we had no luck. We tried a few different sizes and color variations with no luck.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Went out today (Friday) from around 11-3:30. I was surprised how few people were on the Clinch today.

Was throwing sulphurs with no luck...the trout were rising but wouldn't give them a second look for the most part. My brother hooked one early on, but after that we had no luck. We tried a few different sizes and color variations with no luck.
*Will, you were fishing in a hot part of the day and most fish will move to the bottom and conserve resources until it cools off & dissolved oxygen increases. You can use split shot on your leader to target them; but, you really have to focus on seams to get them take.

Pay close attention and see if they are rising to sulphurs. That is; there should be sulphurs hatching and you seeing takes....They may be eating midges and black flies in the film. If you see what looks like sprinkles from rain on the water; then you are seeing black flies and midges emerging. If you confirm a sulphur; use repetitive reach casts and twitch your fly once and a while to simulate a struggling sulphur. Otherwise; float black fly patterns with cdc or poly puffs in to the rises....

Dry Tip: I like to dry Gink my fly wings and wet Gink my tippet to ensure it does not float next to the fly and reflect on top of the water.
Be careful not to get on hands and slide the tippet around the nozzle to do this cleanly.

Last edited by MadisonBoats; 05-26-2012 at 08:31 AM..
Old 05-26-2012, 10:26 AM

Is a sulphur cripple the same thing as what's called a spinner? I would assume so, just double-checking.

All the diff. fly lingos are new to me. I understand the life cycles, but sometimes the lingo gets a little confusing.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:05 AM

A cripple is usually thought of as an emerging fly that either did not properly form or escape the shuck. A spinner is a healthy fly that has ended its life after mating and dies on the water. Hope this helps.
Old 05-26-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercreek View Post
A cripple is usually thought of as an emerging fly that either did not properly form or escape the shuck. A spinner is a healthy fly that has ended its life after mating and dies on the water. Hope this helps.
Thanks. It did help. I guess I've seen patterns that are exactly the same that some people call a cripple and some call a spinner. That was the confusion.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:10 AM

Fished the lower-end (church) on Saturday during the mid-day. Man, was it hot. I got a water temp of 63 at noon and 66 at 2pm. I only managed 9 fish in two hours and they were all dinks. If you want any size; I guess you will have to go deep on nymphs and drift them slow.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:24 AM

"Cripples" of duns emerging are often a different color than imago spinners. Just sayin... and spinner wing are usually clear so a very sparse wing of antron or similar is better than something less clear and bulky.

Presentation over pattern in my book; I don't carry "spinners" but have done a bit of butchery on flies while fishing to "make" one when required.

I will avoid the Clinch for at least another week as Shawn has either educated every one of the fish OR spanked them with his "twitching"! LOL.

Good luck to all.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:57 AM

Thanks for the temperature reports. Makes you wonder though what temps will be like later in the summer if we have the hot summer folks are expecting.